Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Any way around Flash after uconnect install??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 PM
wkdwarrior98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way around Flash after uconnect install??

I have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan and I just had a radio shop install the uconnect bluetooth & Ipod cable. It will not read that it has been installed and was told I had to carry to dealership to have computer flashed. I have been priced between $85-125.00 for them to flash computer. Is there any other way around this??? Thanks for any input.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 PM
wkdwarrior98

I have the 430 RBZ model.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 PM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way around it. The reason why is that the vehicles modules (including the Uconnect) is turned on (powered up) using the CAN BUS Network. Once it is powered up then there is Battery votage to keep it operating. Also The vehicle needs to know what modules it has on the network, this is for diagnostic codes. The vehicle sends out "state of health" messages periodically to make sure the modules are there and operating. If a module doesn't send a reply then a DTC is thrown. This DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is used to diagois issues.
The flash doesn't take more than 15-20 minutes, so I would look around and maybe even tell the dealer that you got a quote for 1/2 hr labor. (about $50).

Originally Posted by wkdwarrior98
I have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan and I just had a radio shop install the uconnect bluetooth & Ipod cable. It will not read that it has been installed and was told I had to carry to dealership to have computer flashed. I have been priced between $85-125.00 for them to flash computer. Is there any other way around this??? Thanks for any input.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 AM
wkdwarrior98

Thanks XSDBS for the clarification on this. I had checked with my local dealer when my wife was interested in the uconnect for the handsfree phone feature and was quoted $610.00 for the unit and install. I thought this seemed a little pricey and asked the guy for the uconnect part # and he refused to give it to me. I went online and found the part # off mopar website and ordered it from a dealer for $250.00 including shipping. Had it installed for $45.00 and now looking to getting it working. The dealer who quoted me the $600 price wants $125.00 to flash it, not surprising.

I was told at the radio shop that I would have to carry it to the dealer to have it flashed and he told me it only takes about 20 or so minutes and should be around $50.00. I have called every dealer with-in a 50 mile radius and those are the prices that I have been given. I KNOW it is high and that is why I am trying to find another way around it, although it seems there isn't. Thanks again for the reply on this and I only have one more dealer to call.

Originally Posted by xsdbs
There is no way around it. The reason why is that the vehicles modules (including the Uconnect) is turned on (powered up) using the CAN BUS Network. Once it is powered up then there is Battery votage to keep it operating. Also The vehicle needs to know what modules it has on the network, this is for diagnostic codes. The vehicle sends out "state of health" messages periodically to make sure the modules are there and operating. If a module doesn't send a reply then a DTC is thrown. This DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is used to diagois issues.
The flash doesn't take more than 15-20 minutes, so I would look around and maybe even tell the dealer that you got a quote for 1/2 hr labor. (about $50).

Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Below you mentioned that the radio shop said "you would have to carry it to the dealer", they meant to take the vehicle with the module installed to the dealer, correct and not just the module?
Have you tried checking with the sales person or sales mgr that helped you make the vehicle purchase. They may be able to get you a break (just a thought).

Thanks XSDBS for the clarification on this. I had checked with my local dealer when my wife was interested in the uconnect for the handsfree phone feature and was quoted $610.00 for the unit and install. I thought this seemed a little pricey and asked the guy for the uconnect part # and he refused to give it to me. I went online and found the part # off mopar website and ordered it from a dealer for $250.00 including shipping. Had it installed for $45.00 and now looking to getting it working. The dealer who quoted me the $600 price wants $125.00 to flash it, not surprising.

I was told at the radio shop that I would have to carry it to the dealer to have it flashed and he told me it only takes about 20 or so minutes and should be around $50.00. I have called every dealer with-in a 50 mile radius and those are the prices that I have been given. I KNOW it is high and that is why I am trying to find another way around it, although it seems there isn't. Thanks again for the reply on this and I only have one more dealer to call.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:08 AM
wkdwarrior98

The guy at the radio shop installed it for $45.00, he had told me beforehand that I would have to have the computer flashed at the dealership for it to activate the module.

I got in a phone battle with two of the dealerships yesterday about who could get lowest and wanted my future business and finally got them down to $47.50. Went yesterday afternoon and had them run the flash on it. Everything works great except the ipod cable, we could not figure out why it was not reading the ipod. It would not even recognize it was connected. The cable is suppose to play but much more needed to charge the ipod/iphone and it is not even recognizing it is there. I am going back to the radio shop on saturday to get them to check to see if maybe it came loose.

It is the Ipod Touch 3rd Gen and my wife is getting her Iphone 4S on Saturday. Not sure if a update needs to be loaded or not......hhhmmmm.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Good job of being persistent on the price for the flashing. Dealers don't think that people know whats going on so they try the old "man we have to completely re flash the vehicle, should take an hr or so",

The cable may have come lose, but kind of doubt it unless the tech didn't seat it correctly. Can you tell me if the USB connector on the cable lights up when the key is turned on (after about 30 seconds)?
Also if you can see the module, can you get me the PN that is on it? (ex: 05064635AG). Thanks

The guy at the radio shop installed it for $45.00, he had told me beforehand that I would have to have the computer flashed at the dealership for it to activate the module.

I got in a phone battle with two of the dealerships yesterday about who could get lowest and wanted my future business and finally got them down to $47.50. Went yesterday afternoon and had them run the flash on it. Everything works great except the ipod cable, we could not figure out why it was not reading the ipod. It would not even recognize it was connected. The cable is suppose to play but much more needed to charge the ipod/iphone and it is not even recognizing it is there. I am going back to the radio shop on saturday to get them to check to see if maybe it came loose.

It is the Ipod Touch 3rd Gen and my wife is getting her Iphone 4S on Saturday. Not sure if a update needs to be loaded or not......hhhmmmm.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 PM
wkdwarrior98

Originally Posted by xsdbs
Good job of being persistent on the price for the flashing. Dealers don't think that people know whats going on so they try the old "man we have to completely re flash the vehicle, should take an hr or so",

The cable may have come lose, but kind of doubt it unless the tech didn't seat it correctly. Can you tell me if the USB connector on the cable lights up when the key is turned on (after about 30 seconds)?
Also if you can see the module, can you get me the PN that is on it? (ex: 05064635AG). Thanks
Sorry about the delay in responding. After a little research I found that the module # 82212159 for the uconnect will not work with the Ipod cable # 82212000, will not even recognize it is connected. I found that for that module you need Ipod cable # 82212160 and once installed worked great. Thanks for all your help.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 AM
xsdbs
Captain

That makes sense then. The module that you installed was a 2011 Uconnect module and would need the 82212160 cable. If the module had been a 2010 unit then the 82212000 would have been correct.
Tell me something, with the 2011 Uconnect module in the 2010 vehicle, have you tried to stream audio from the phone, this wasn't a supported feature in 2010, so I'm wondering if the radio will support it. Thanks

Sorry about the delay in responding. After a little research I found that the module # 82212159 for the uconnect will not work with the Ipod cable # 82212000, will not even recognize it is connected. I found that for that module you need Ipod cable # 82212160 and once installed worked great. Thanks for all your help.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:50 AM
wkdwarrior98

Still waiting on Iphone, it is a work provided phone and they are taking their sweet time. I will let you know when it arrives and we have tried it.

It does bluetooth with a Ipod Touch 3rd Gen and streams fine with the Ipad 2. It charges the Ipod, but for some reason the ipad does not like to charge on anything other than A/C power. The Ipad will not even charge from USB on computer. Also this cable description states controls from Ipod only, but all controls can be done from touch screen on radio. That was something I wasn't looking forward to and found I don't have to as everything is right there on the screen.

Quick Reply: Any way around Flash after uconnect install??