Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

6.5" speakers in rear of QC RAM

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I spent a majority of my weekend tearing the interior of my truck out and installing everything. I went with the Polk db691 in the front doors, and moved my Infinity Reference 6.5" to the rear doors. Was going to put the amp in the stock location above the glove box, but there just wasn't anywhere near enough room. I can only assume the kicker amp is pretty small. I put the amp under the passenger seat and spliced the speaker outputs into the molex connectors in the kick panels.

I had originally planned to run wire all the way to the speakers, but after seeing how the door wiring is setup. ****. That. The rear door connector would have been nearly impossible to get to, and the front doors' connectors are hidden behind some sorta fake wall under the kick panels. Sound deadening I guess. I want the system to sound good, but I have NO desire to ever attempt that operation.

The Polk 6x9 that I installed up front barely fit. They have very large baskets, even for a 6x9. I sammiched two nuts on each corner as stand-offs to raise the speaker up by about half an inch and keep the basket from rattling on the opening. The speaker mesh on the door skin does snugly contact the tweeters, but they are probably the strongest tweeter mounts I have ever seen on a coaxial speaker before. Solid as steel, and you can't even notice the small amount it is pushed out once everything is buttoned back up. Had I been more industrious, I could have used my dremel to make the opening larger, or just make cutouts for the basket, but this worked out.

The Infinity 6.5" I put in the back fit nicely into the opening, but the lip around the opening is not wide enough to accommodate the larger ring. I used one factory mounting tab and then used rubber standoffs on the other three corners. Very snug. No vibrations. Sounds great.

Now I have to tune the amp and re-install my passenger seat, but so far I am pretty pleased with the performance. Man it was lot of work though.

Quick Reply: 6.5" speakers in rear of QC RAM