Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Fitting large speakers in front doors

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Fitting large speakers in front doors

Am looking to upgrade the sound system in my quad cab Dakota. The only thing impeding speakers with larger magnets in the front doors, is about an inch of the window track sitting just behind the speaker. Just wondering if anyone has ever cut the bottom inch of the window tracks off and how that worked out for you.

Thanks, Drew

Old 12-06-2013, 12:19 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The way I did mine in my Ram was a cut a MDF trim ring to go behind the speaker and bring it forward some

Old 12-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
The way I did mine in my Ram was a cut a MDF trim ring to go behind the speaker and bring it forward some
With the native spacer already in place, there is not much bringing forward that I can do because the face of the speaker is aleady flush against the door panel. Did you modify the panel?

Old 12-12-2013, 02:08 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

No modification to the panel and no native spacer. I used a sheet of 5/8 or 3/4 MDF and used the router to cut spacers. Look in my signature for a link to my gallery and in one of those Kicker folders are some pics

Old 12-21-2013, 05:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I would NOT go cutting your window track. There's a good chance that if your window track is in the way, that your window will actually hit the magent when it's all the way down. Means broken window!
Have you checked clearance with your window in the down position?
I know that there was literally 1/4" clearance between the magnet of the 6x9's I used to have. Now, I have a 3/4" trim ring like Weed with a pair of 6.5's and I have plenty of room.

Bigger isnt always better. The quality of the speaker is what should concern you.

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-21-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:55 PM
[meph]
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always done what those two above just recommended, but if you're willing and eager enough there's always fiberglass..

also look into shallow mount speakers. I cant really think of any off hand, but I do know that they exist.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:28 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a new member who posted up in the classifieds section about trading his 14 speaker door panels for stock one's. Maybe check into those!
He's in TN

Quick Reply: Fitting large speakers in front doors