Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

2 ohm or 4 ohm? Dodge Ram Infinity

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 09:19 PM
empyreal100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2 ohm or 4 ohm? Dodge Ram Infinity

Techman,

I was looking only a Component systems, not Multi-element systems. Since the stock speakers are components (tweeters on dash, woofers in front door) I figured I'd need same in an upgrade. Would you replace the stock front door speakers with a multi-element speaker, AND put new tweeters in the dash as well? Then I'd have twice as many tweeters as before.

As for tuning a pipe, I don't really feel a big enough difference to affect my riding style. For racing and saving 1/10ths of a second it makes a big difference, I am told, but for canyon carving I don't kid myself into thinking my pipe is much more than just sounding cool and some freer reving on the high end. Whether I gain 2.1hp or 2.8 hp I can't tell. Besides, I am too busy fretting and worrying about some silly car stereo.....

Old 11-10-2005, 09:38 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

Simply put, Yes I would. The way I look at it is you have the tweeters all around and not just the front so IMO it will give a balanced sound.

My friend has a Silverado, and he put the Kappa Multi Elements to replace the stock speakers which were similar(non multi element). Sounds great in there now.

According to here, the 3 1/2's will fit to replace the dash

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ex04PLv...s.asp?id=13835

Old 11-10-2005, 10:15 PM
clemson725
Professional

In my 1995 i had a pioneer head unit, infinity kappa 2 way 6x9s on a MTX 2 channel amp and 2 rockford 10" xlc subs on a rockford power mono amp. Bass in a truck is HIGHLY dependent on the enclosure design. I built one after some careful thinking that made most people think i had a couple of 12"s. That, combined with the flowmaster true dual exhaust with no cats and no tailpipes..... well it was loud to say the least. The stereo would drown it out though. YOu had to scream over it for anybody else in the truck to notice you were talking to them. Even then they couldnt understand you.

In response to techmanbd, chances are that the 2 brothers would be just fine on your bike, but different manufacturers have deals with certain exhausts. With suzuki its yoshimura, with yamaha its graves, with honda its 2bros. Most preset maps on the PCIII and such have more precise maps for these exhausts. So in a way you're right. 2 bros probably doesnt have a fuel map preset that compares to the ones for the other exhausts you mentioned.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:06 AM
empyreal100

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]GOT IT! Crutchfield Electronics has sales consultants with a huge reference library on stock car audio systems. They take them apart and photograph the whole process, including close-ups of speakers obverse & reverse. Apparently they have over 400 photos on the 2002 Dodge Ram Quadcab with Infinity Sound system --EUREKA! Here is a summary for posterity:

Separate amp drives "11 speakers in 7 locations", and is located in dash to left of glove box. Can replace HU w/o replacing amp in 2002's, but not later years because HU communicates digitally with amp. No other info on the amp other than it exists and is analog.

Dash Center: 2.5" single-coil speaker, "3 ohms" stamped on the speaker, for "center fill". Non-standard, can only get from a dodge dealer.
Dash Sides: 3.5" apparently 2-way speaker. Has unremovable football-shaped mounting bracket, not round.
Front Doors: 6"x9" 2-way. Tight clearance, so some people replace with 6.5" rounds
Rear Doors: non-standard size, >5.25" but <6.5", 2-way.

Ohm ratings of all speakers except Dash Center is not certain -- not stamped on the speakers and not in any of the literature. Thus must rely on TechManBd's promise that they are 2 ohms. So, please, how did you obtained this info, TMB? I'm gonna remove one speaker and run an accurate ohmeter across it to double check. If 2 ohms, gonna replace all my speakers with Infinity Kappa Multi-units. If 4 ohms, gonna replace all my speakers with Inifinity Reference or JL Audio speakers. As for that 2.5" center channel, I'm gonna try to squeeze a 3.5" speaker in there; if it doesn't fit, then I'll simply disconnect it. Any comments on all of this?

Back to MC's & exhausts: power-feeling of a bike is far more sensitive to sprocket gearings used than to upgraded pipe or fuel mapping. If you're not a track racer, simply drop one tooth in the front and choose pipe based on weight, sound, & look (in that order). Or even drop two teeth in front and be scrupulous about keeping that rear brake covered.....yee-HAH!

Old 11-11-2005, 01:47 AM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

So, please, how did you obtained this info, TMB?
Remember I said, I work for the company that engineers and manufactures the amps. And I test the reliabilty of them.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:51 AM
clemson725
Professional

you know its a small world. a retired guy i know has a son in law that is some vp for chrysler that designs the ram trucks up in detriot. Then last month i had to take a lean manufacturing class in kentucy and in the class was the director of operations for research and development for the ram turbos.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:44 PM
empyreal100

So Techman........Tell me about the Infinity system AMPLIFIER.

Is it 7 channel? How many watts RMS? Same for all channels?

The center dash speaker is stamped "3 ohm". Will amp blow up if I replace it with a 2 ohm Infinity Kappa?

Is it a decent amp, worth keeping, or must I upgrade? I suppose with the Kappas, which are rated for high power, the volume might be lower than with the stock Infinity paper speakers.

Fixed my bike this weekend. Seems Aprilia has a temporary moritorium on accepting new parts orders (yikes!), so I had to bend, grind, and paint parts to restore my lovely Tuono to its pre-lowside luster. Parts cost: $0, cost to create new workbench with better mounted vise: $50+/-.

Thanks to everyone else that replied, too, including motorcycyle responses[8D]

Old 11-16-2005, 09:05 PM
empyreal100

I put in the Infinity Kappa multi-element speakers today to replace stock infinity speakers. Frankly, some areas improved while others got worse. The stock front door speakers apparently are only fed low-frequency sound (amp must have a low-pass filter), and Kappa 2-ways provide less bass than the stock Infinity 6x9's. Now for sure I need a powered subwoofer. The speakers (dashboard 3.5" and front door 6x9") certainly have more clarity & precision than the stockers, and the dashboard's treble is much sharper, but now I can hear all the distortion in the amp/HU very clearly. Kind of sucks, actually. Volume is even louder than stock speakers, though.

Now I am forced to replace amp, HU, and add subwoofer to really get am improved system. Or else put the stock infinity speakers back in.

I intend to build a subwoofer under the middle front seat in that giant storage bin. Has anyone tried or seen this done?

Quick Reply: 2 ohm or 4 ohm? Dodge Ram Infinity