Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Want to add another sub and amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Want to add another sub and amp

Hey all, I've decided to add to my sound system again. I want to add a 12" sub and another amp. I'm looking to add more bass instead of loudness. What kind of set-up should I go with? My existing set-up is in my sig. thx!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Subs add loudness with increased bass, so I'm not sure I understand.

Sounds to me you have an adjustment issue. Your subwoofers should be filtered at 50Hz. They should not be playing any frequency above that. They get "boomy" loud and the lower notes get washed out because of it.
Most people have their subs set to play 63Hz or even as high as 80Hz because their door speakers suck.
I have Boston Acoustic Pro 6.5" components in my doors fed by amplifier power and they rock the house and hit you in your chest! The drums and guitar notes are amazing. If you are powering ANY door speaker by HU power, your going to get washed out bass notes and distorted highs that are being drowned out by your subs.

I think you need to buy new door speakers and an amp to power them and filter your subs to 50Hz BEFORE upgrading your subs. I think you'll gain a TON of midrange bass as well as clarity and find that your subs have sufficient bass and are plenty loud when coupled with nice door speakers.
Anything you can buy at a Walmart or Bestbuy is not going to do what I described. You need to go to a stereo shop or buy from an online one.
Look at spending $200-300 Retail JUST for the door speakers and any reasonable amp will supply the power they need.
With all that said, I bought my BA's used on Ebay for $140shipped. Prob another $120 for a nice used amp for them.

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-27-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Hmm might have confused myself here. I have new door speakers, sony xplod 150 watts. So your saying new speakers powered by a smaller amp before new subs?

Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I added/edited some info on the bottom portion.

If you dont have an amp powering those door speakers, yeah, you need to start out by adding an amp to them. Then if you arent satisfied, get better door speakers. THEN go to new subs.
My BA's hit so hard, I dont even need subs. I did put 200mil of Dynamat in the doors so they are properly deadened and securely mounted(makes a difference as well).

Don't just go straight for subs. Many guys do that and their highs suck and after they spent all that money still arent happy. My one buddy went all out on subs and had door speakers powered by his HU. He finally listened, upgraded the door speakers and added a cheesy *** California Profile 400watt amp to them and his steror sounded a million times better. He had much more midrange bass which is always what lacks in non amplified door speaker systems. HU power is rated at Max of say 45w, but most don't produce 3/4 of that. Most that are rated at 45w Max per cha only produce ~15watts continuous. So, you are underpowering your door speakers with aded distortion.
You volume control should never go above 80%. Most Hu's begin significant distortion above 80%. That is where you tune in for max sound...at 80% volume control.

Also, the GAIN control on an amplifier IS NOT volume control. The gain should be tuned as such....

with HU volume at 80%, slowly turn the Gain of your amp up until the bass output maxes out, when you reach that point, tuen the dial backwards a little bit and try to find the "High Spot". That is where you want to be. On most amps, this will be around the halfway mark. Turning the dial to the max setting actually sends more distortion to your subs without any additional power. Thje gain is merely matching your input signal source to the output source.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Thx DirtyDog thats some great info! I will for sure do that and update with how it goes!

Old 05-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

So I acquired a set of 6x9 350 watt speakers, 2 pioneer 10" subs, neons and a JVC 450 watt amp for $100. Whats the best way to hook all this up? I was thinking hook the speakers to my 350 watt amp in addition to my original subs and hooking the 450 watt amp to my new pioneer subs and powering the neons through the 450 watt amp. I was also going to bridge the subs by hooking all the right hand sounds to the 2 right hand subs and the left hand subs to the left hand subs.