Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Speaker upgrade for 2017 Ram Bighorn 1500

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:27 AM
robert57108
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker upgrade for 2017 Ram Bighorn 1500

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with the 8.4 Uconnect stereo, no NAV, and the six standard speakers. I would like to upgrade the speakers, but see much conflicting info on the technical specs of the system and speaker set up. What is the Ohm rating of the stock speakers and what is recommended as a replacement? (Almost all after market speakers a 4 Ohm, but I see 2 Ohm mentioned as what the current set up supports.) The current door speakers are 6x9, but just about everything I read recommends replacing the front door speakers with 6.5 inch speakers do to depth limitations. Are there 6x9 speakers owners are installing in the front doors that fit, what if anything is being done to make them fit, and what speakers are owners installing in all the locations that match the technical specs? Thanks in advance for the help. Bob S.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Check out crutchfield.com. They can set you up with everything you need.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:14 AM
robert57108

Thanks for the quick reply, I have been to Crutchfield site and spoken to their people. While helpful, they haven't been able to answer the Ohm question or the question regarding depth measurement of front doors. Recommendation was for 4 Ohm kicker speakers, all locations. With 6.5 size in front doors. On several sites, I have seen discussions regarding the requirement for 2 to 3 Ohm speakers and also people successfully installing 6x9 speakers in the front doors. Crutchfield and a local electronics company I spoke to don't seem to know much about this. When I ask about the Ohm requirement, I am told 4 Ohm is what exists in the aftermarket or it doesn't make a difference, which doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that they are familiar with Ram audio requirements. I just want to make sure what I do, improves things and doesn't cause amp or installation problems.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:03 PM
IMCHALLENGEN

Originally Posted by robert57108
Thanks for the quick reply, I have been to Crutchfield site and spoken to their people. While helpful, they haven't been able to answer the Ohm question or the question regarding depth measurement of front doors. Recommendation was for 4 Ohm kicker speakers, all locations. With 6.5 size in front doors. On several sites, I have seen discussions regarding the requirement for 2 to 3 Ohm speakers and also people successfully installing 6x9 speakers in the front doors. Crutchfield and a local electronics company I spoke to don't seem to know much about this. When I ask about the Ohm requirement, I am told 4 Ohm is what exists in the aftermarket or it doesn't make a difference, which doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that they are familiar with Ram audio requirements. I just want to make sure what I do, improves things and doesn't cause amp or installation problems.
Did you ever find a speaker setup? There are 2ohm speakers that are 6.5” and 6x9 available for front doors.

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrade for 2017 Ram Bighorn 1500