DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-16/)
-   -   Stereo/speaker noise 2002 Ram (long) (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics/67591-stereo-speaker-noise-2002-ram-long.html)

lrobison 07-29-2006 04:33 PM

Stereo/speaker noise 2002 Ram (long)

I have an on going noise issue with my 2002 Ram 2500. It began in January of this year while driving home
from work. A loud noise (popping, static, and squeeling) came from the right rear door speaker. The noise is
not dependant on the steteo volume (its level never varies, always loud) and is present with AM/FM, CD, or
aux input. In May I had a new Sony head unit(Best Buy electronics) and all new speakers in the doors installed
. As soon as I left the installer the same noise is back even with all new componants. Since the old wiring was
used, it has to be something inline from the stereo to the speakers. I still have the original pillar tweeters
in place and they do not seem to have the noise. The local dealer advised that the indash noise filter/choke might be
bad, but replacing it did not change anything. The original system was the dealer code "RAZ" am/fm, single CD, Cassette
with the "joy stick" and 6 speakers. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to
read this long winded posting.[:o]

CaptainPioneer 07-29-2006 05:45 PM

RE: Stereo/speaker noise 2002 Ram (long)

my guess is that you are getting Alt whine through the speakers... Is the noise pitch noticably getting higher when you rev the engine? If so that is your problem and a New ground is what u need... If you cannot install yourself, I would advise not going to Best Buy to get it fixed i would find an Audio shop and have them run a New ground for your stereo, also have them see what it might be.. BB techs are MECP licenced but that doesnt mean that they cant be idiots

lrobison 07-29-2006 06:52 PM

Thanks for the reply Capt. I thought of that however it does this even when the engine if off, and there is no change in amplitude or pitch of the noise. I am leaning in the direction you mentioned of having a stereo shop run all new wiring to the speakers. I was hoping to avoid running
new wires as the BB guys reused the door panel clips and some did not fasten afterward, I had to buy new ones from the dealer here in Ely, and they ain't cheap. Thanks again.

HighDuke1911 07-29-2006 06:54 PM

SUE THEM! Nah, j/k. lol.

DieselDemon 07-30-2006 01:26 AM

I would seriously check the ground on the back of the radio/head unit and the speaker in question. If you have a broken or poor ground on the radio chasis itself, then I would think that traveling through a speaker wire would be the next available path for electrons to follow. If the speaker has a poor connection, it would cause noise. If the speaker is powered to any extent above 10 watts rms, a poor ground maybe be causing erratic/unstable output on that channel.

Just some suggestions. I have found that restoring grounds to a good clean contact point takes away quite a bit of alt/eng whine as well. The equipment you buy today rarely fails. It's usually something small that has caused the problem.
Just make sure to inspect that speaker and radio ground wires carefully. Even if there is a slit in the wire insulation and it rubs some metal, that's enough to cause speaker noise.

The original CB radio I had in my truck was hooked to a linear amp. I used to put out 300 watts, dead key. If you held a 15 inch fluorescent tube light next to the antenna, and then keyed the radio, the antenna whip would instantaneously get super hot, and a few seconds later the bulb would start to illuminate. Just shows how power is conducted. Everything in that cab depends on a good ground.

Good luck