Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

New Challenger Spy Shots: Chrome and No Crosshaire

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 AM
thestealth
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Challenger Spy Shots: Chrome and No Crosshaire

Do you know that for a fact...or is that just a hunch?

Old 08-14-2007, 11:24 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dartman69

Let's not forget the fact that the LX cars have fully independentsuspension where the Mustangs have live-axle rear suspensions. I know for a fact that my Charger SRT-8 can outhandle a Mustang GT despite the weight difference (probably the GT500 too). Even if the Challenger still weighs a tad more, it's practically a gurantee that it will still be the better handling vehicle (as long as Ford doesn't update the Mustang's suspension).

On a side note, I sure hope the new double-clutch manumatic trannies make it in the Challenger. Think what a 7-speed insta-shift transmission would do for a car like the Challenger.
i know that in some handling tests, like the high speed lane change, the charger technically "out handles" the mustang GT, only due to the electronics on the charger. if you put a charger RT and a mustang GT on a road course for a few laps, sadly, my safe money would be on the mustang. in the same way, my stratus Rt will technically out handle a mustang GT of the same model year, and that comes from C&D...as the stratus turned out better skidpad times than the 02 GT, but in the same way, on a road course head to head, i wouldnt expect the RT to keep up, even if it was ALL turns...live axle or not.

as for the manumatic in the challenger...the only thing that i can think that it would do, is slow the car down. i know that its a whole different type of machine, but take a stock stratus rt with a manual trans, compared to my "manumatic"...the 5 speed RT is something like second faster in the quarter mile, stock for stock. automatic transmissions on cars that arent heavily modified only serve to slow the car down. the auto trans, regardless of how good it is, yields a lower whp due to the internal weight, and from a dig, the auto trans is at a heavy disadvantage due to the fact that you only have so much control over your launch RPM.

i made the mistake of buying the RT with a autostick due to some health issues at that time, and i regret it pretty much every day...the only way that i would consider a slushbox in the challenger is if they didnt offer a manual transmission, and if that is the case, it will end up being another soccermom vehicle like the embarrassing srt10 quad cab rams. 500+ hp and 14 second ETs? brilliant.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 AM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey you guys! Dodge is spelled D O D G E not dog. Do you really think they are going to bring a bloated behemoth to compete with the Mustang and Camaro. I think not! Quit your worrying and think about what it's going to feel like leaving a Ford or Chevy in your dust! Damn, talk about a bunch of kill-joys! This is what Dodge fanatics have waited for since the dissapointment of the Charger and all you want to do is rag on it. I'm still in line for ownership and will not be denied reliving some of my youth by severely abusingthose rear tires!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:05 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i "quit worrying" before the charger came out...and while i do think that the charger is one fine looking (and running) sedan, its just not what i wanted.

and ive been leaving fords and chevys in the dust of my dodge for about 10 years now..

Quick Reply: New Challenger Spy Shots: Chrome and No Crosshaire