Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

UAW may strike on Chrysler Wednesday

Old 10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UAW may strike on Chrysler Wednesday

ORIGINAL: Autoblog
UAW gives Chrysler Wednesday deadline, strike possiblePosted Oct 8th 2007 9:55AM by John Neff
Filed under: Chrysler, UAW/Unions
As we reported earlier, the UAW is continuing its negotiation talks with Chrysler LLC for a new contract, having chosen the Auburn Hills-based automaker as its next dance partner after reaching a tentative agreement with General Motors on September 26th. The UAW's contract with Chrysler LLC expired on September 14th, but the union extended the deadline for Chrysler (and Ford) while it was focusing on negotiations with General Motors. As we all know, the UAW chose to strike against GM, and it may do the same to Chrysler if a tentative agreement isn't reached by tomorrow Wednesday. Sometime yesterday the union gave Chrysler a required 72-hour notice that the extension would end. While Bloomberg didn't mention at what time Wednesday the extension would expire, we're guessing 11AM EST, which is the same time of day the UAW chose to begin its strike against General Motors on Sept. 24th.

Though the UAW hopes to use its agreement with GM as a template for one with Chrysler, there are additional factors to consider. First and foremost is the fact that Chrysler was not given concessions on retiree health care back in 2005 that were given to both GM and Ford. Even if a VEBA account like the one in the UAW-GM contract is agreed upon, chances are retirees will be forced to accept concessions in their level of coverage to make up for the slight two years ago.

Of course, everyone is curious how well Chrysler's new owner, Cerberus Capital Management, is working with the UAW during these negotiations. Current Co-Vice Chairman of Chrysler, Tom LaSorda, who has seen his title dwindle down from CEO since the purchase, has an opportunity to shine in this talks. Handling negotiations with the UAW is part of his new job description, and considering Chrysler's stumble in the marketplace under his stewardship, now would be a good time for him to prove his worth to Cerberus.
Will be interesting to see how this goes, I hope Chrysler holds out and gets what they need to be competetive...

Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UAW may strike on Chrysler Wednesday

And what does Chrysler need to be more competitive? How about building something someone would want to buy. Most likely we will not strike. It would only really help the company out. They already have too many cars on hand. During the past two weeks about 5 plants have been shuttered because of inventory.

I have no problem being competitive, but that starts at the top. The top 100 people in each of the big 3 make anywhere from 300-1000% more than their counterparts in Japan. SO I am tired of hearing about us being competitive, but not the upper management of the big three.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Nofrag
Champion

ORIGINAL: SHAPman

And what does Chrysler need to be more competitive? How about building something someone would want to buy. Most likely we will not strike. It would only really help the company out. They already have too many cars on hand. During the past two weeks about 5 plants have been shuttered because of inventory.

I have no problem being competitive, but that starts at the top. The top 100 people in each of the big 3 make anywhere from 300-1000% more than their counterparts in Japan. SO I am tired of hearing about us being competitive, but not the upper management of the big three.
Japanese car makers also don't have to deal with union crap, like strikes, and demands for retarded wages and retirement funds. Here's a thought for union guys, how about ya save for your bloody retirement like everyone else, god knows auto workers get paid enough. Damn, always upset over layoffs, but too blind to see that when they hurt the company, the easiest way to recover a mil is to get rid of 20 people who make 50k, so yeah they'll always drop 200 people in a heartbeat to save 10mil.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Get your facts straight, the Japanese are union. The main difference is they have national health care over in japan. The "$25 / hr" difference between us and theUS Japanese workers is that they are not required to fund their pensions at a federal level because they are not contractually guaranteed. So they will be in the same boat as us in the next 10-20 years. When their American work force reaches retirement age. Why shouldn't I be rewarded for staying at a company for 30+ years? Most people don't stay at a job much more than 5 years anymore. Its called loyalty. Plus most of you have no idea what our pension plan looks like. Right now if you retire with 30 years you will receive about $2000 a month. Thats half of what we make while working. Also we receive no matching on our 401k. For those of you that receive 100% + on your 401k actually can do better than our pension plan does. The union offered to go to the 401k matching plan that the corporate guys receive two contracts ago. The company realized it was cheaper to keep us on the pension plan. SO once again to all the UAW haters, unless you know what your talking about please keep your ignorance to yourself. Its the ignorance that gets spread that gives us a bad rap, mostly by people that have never walked into a big 3 shop.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:42 AM
Nofrag
Champion

Most people don't stay at a job much more than 5 years anymore. Its called loyalty.
It's called change, and it's happening all over the world. 30+ year jobs are a thing of the past, and don't forget, when you get laid off, or your plant closes, where does that 30 year job go?

Right now if you retire with 30 years you will receive about $2000 a month.
That is certainly nothing to complain about. First of all, right now you get an amazing wage, especially given that millions of people in America do twice the amount of work for less than $10/h. With your wages, there's no reason that you can't save for your own retirement.

Its the ignorance that gets spread that gives us a bad rap, mostly by people that have never walked into a big 3 shop.
No ignorance here, I come from a Teamsters family, I know 110% what unions are about, and I pity the fools who buy into their bull****. Nobody has to walk into a big 3 shop to know that strikes stop production, which costs the company money, which causes higher prices, fewer sales, and eventually plant closures and lost jobs. Not to mention that alot of people end up going bankrupt during the strike that costs them their job.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They are walking off the job as I type.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:12 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Hopefully this will be very short, and will bring both parties together to hammer out a fair deal for all. Not just the company. None of us want to be on strike, but that is our only point of leverage.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:28 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

They are walking off the job as I type.
good show UAW...good to keep in mind what's best for the industry...

remember this when "the big three" models are being produced entirely in other countries...

Old 10-11-2007, 06:58 AM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

The Union is a joke. I hope everyone who supports the corrupt union loses their job. And no, Shap, I am not going to sit here and argue...

If you guys haven't noticed, it is usually only the union workers supporting the union's decisions, and all the other people out there know the UAW is a joke.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

You know what I find odd....

I don't ever remember telling any of you that you are overpaid, and under worked. Now why would that be? Because I don't know what you do. Even if I did its not my place to say your an overpaid slob and you don't deserve what you get. Hey if you make 100k a year, good for you. If you make 30k a year good for you too.

But its perfectly ok for all of you to tell me, and my coworkers we are overpaid slobs that are worthless.

I just don;t understand that a much of people that have no clue as to what goes on at the big three can dictate what I should or should not make.

I'll even lay out on the line. I make 26.42 an hour. I bet there are quite a few of you that make about the same, or more than I do. Also remember I give up my family life as I am on second shift. So I work 4pm-12:30 or 2:30 am. Depending on the day.

Also to those of you that think we could find people to do our jobs at 15 bucks an hour let me inform of this nugget. Our new hire rate only has a 35-40% retention rate. So that means 60-65% of new hires quit within the first 90 days. And we start at about 20 bucks an hour. So good luck with that.

I bet of your boss walked in tomorrow and said your taking a 5 dollar an hour pay cut you would be all bent out of shape. But you expect us just to rollover and eat it. Right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UAW may strike on Chrysler Wednesday