Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Eric Heuschele from SRT answers why SRT-4 is FWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:42 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Eric Heuschele from SRT answers why SRT-4 is FWD

im interested in seeing how this USDM GTR does for itself....as the skyline has been making a name for itself for the last 50 years...but it seems that nissan doesnt notice that what people want is THE SKYLINE...not really another AWD performance car...especially one that costs 70g...[:'(]

Old 12-05-2007, 09:31 AM
thestealth
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the SRT model was offered with AWD, it might actually be a consideration for me when the time comes to replace my DD...

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

In the case of the 3000GT/Stealth, the 3000GT was the only one to get all-wheel-steering.
Not true, the only option the 3kgt had that the Stealth did not was active aero. All TT Stealths had AWS except the '96 (where they made a whole 57 of them.)

Just clearing up some misinformation...carry on.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:07 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

I hate to argue, but Id have to see a Daytona RT, in stock form, that would stay within a ballpark of my laser with just exhaust...the turbo daytona had amazing potential to be madefast, as did many of the turbo dodge models, but the V6 daytonas were pigs compared to the turbo models. many of them which ive seen for sale were automatics, which would make them slower yet...the daytona died with the RT models because they didnt have the performance or the aftermarket of the turbo models.

my awd laser, with exhaust, a minor boost leak, and 120,000+ miles ran a 9.2X 8th mile...amanda truck ran a 9.4 8th mile, which was a 14.8-14.9 quarter mile...ive never seen a daytona RT run better than high 14s...
I can't testify about aftermarket changes as I knowverylittle about that, but stock using the ratings I have read, that Daytona R/T was supposed to be faster stock vs. stock. The 0-60 and 1/4 mile time for a 1993 DaytonaR/T was rated at 6.3 secs and 14.8 secs. Ibelieve I read a faster spec in an old MT or C&D somewhere I think, but that was a long time ago and I don't think I have it anymore.Since they have limited info on the Laser, we'll compare it to the more common and more popularEclipse.The 1993 Eclipse GSX (whichhad AWD) was rated at 6.8 secs and 15.2.
http://www.carspecsdirectory.com/Dodge.htm
http://www.carspecsdirectory.com/Mit...gan_Morris.htm

The fastest I have ever read anystock turbo AWD Eclipse doing is 6.4 sec and 14.9 sec and that was a 2nd gen (1995). Now which one is better for aftermarket, there is no comparison. The AWD has much greater capability and the 2.0L turbo has been made for an extremely long time in lots of cars. The 2.2L turbo III was a limited production used in two cars (Spirit R/T and Daytona R/T) and combined that lasted about three short years. The aftermarket universe for the 2.0L is huge especially considering how the 2.0L turbo has been used in extremely more powerful models like the Evo.

I wasn't refering to the 3.0L offering in the Daytona or the Spirit and its clones being the competitive one, I was refering to the turbo offerings. The only one I claimed that about was in the Shadow. Although it wasn't super fast, it was competitive in that model as was the turbo offering.

ORIGINAL: thestealth
Not true, the only option the 3kgt had that the Stealth did not was active aero. All TT Stealths had AWD except the '96 (where they made a whole 57 of them.)

Just clearing up some misinformation...carry on.
That's odd, I was always told they didn't offer the four-wheel steering. I knew they had the AWD but not the four-wheel steering. I guess you learn something new every day. Thanks for the correction. Still the point stands that the 3000GT had an optionthe Stealth didn't have.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:30 AM
dragon8master
Professional

im interested in seeing how this USDM GTR does for itself....as the skyline has been making a name for itself for the last 50 years...but it seems that nissan doesnt notice that what people want is THE SKYLINE...not really another AWD performance car...especially one that costs 70g...[:'(]
um, i think our new version is quite a deal, based on the fact that i read somewhere that to import a new, late '90s model skyline and make it street legalwas somewhere in the neighborhood of $90K. and am i mistaken in that i thought all the most modern generations of skyline were AWD? except of course for the Infinity G35 that is the Skyline in Japan today.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:21 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: dragon8master

and am i mistaken in that i thought all the most modern generations of skyline were AWD? except of course for the Infinity G35 that is the Skyline in Japan today.
All of the modern era Skylines have been AWD, including the current Skyline. The V35 Skyline was AWD, as is the V36 Skyline, both of which are sedans. The current Skyline coupes are rebadged 350Z's, which is only RWD.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:53 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Its ALL a moot point, since if Dodge wants to be a real contender in the sport compact market they'll do a 2+2 coupe version of the demon and do it in rwd. I cant really see the evo and sti as dominant. As long as all they offer is a 4dr sedan bopdystyle they'll never really take off like the eclipse did. Looks do matter, theres no good reason for a car thats fast not to have style also.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:00 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

well, not all skylines were AWD, but the last four or so generations have offered an AWD model. most USM skyline enthusiasts are only really familiar with the GTR coupes, which were AWD, but there were also loads of low-performance RWD models made...ive met plenty of people who lived overseas and owning a skyline wasnt anything special.

also, the last installment of the skyline, which we knowas the infiniti G35 coupe and sedan, are also offered overseas as the skyline...however, they are nothing compared to the BNR34, which is the model that most people are used to relating to "a skyline".

i did a year by year review of the skyline a while back, it has more racing success than most cars in motoring history...but most people dont know that.

id be AMAZED to see chrysler release a 2+2 coupe based on the demon...especially with the launch of the challenger...i dont see it happening at all, unless its some derivation of th challenger, such as "the cuda"...

Old 12-07-2007, 12:57 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

well, not all skylines were AWD, but the last four or so generations have offered an AWD model. most USM skyline enthusiasts are only really familiar with the GTR coupes, which were AWD, but there were also loads of low-performance RWD models made...ive met plenty of people who lived overseas and owning a skyline wasnt anything special.

also, the last installment of the skyline, which we knowas the infiniti G35 coupe and sedan, are also offered overseas as the skyline...however, they are nothing compared to the BNR34, which is the model that most people are used to relating to "a skyline".

i did a year by year review of the skyline a while back, it has more racing success than most cars in motoring history...but most people dont know that.

id be AMAZED to see chrysler release a 2+2 coupe based on the demon...especially with the launch of the challenger...i dont see it happening at all, unless its some derivation of th challenger, such as "the cuda"...
Yeah, there were several years of RWD Skylines, but the car itself is pretty well known for the R32-R34 lineups........and the Skyline is indeed a beast.....it practically never loses in most of the race classes its in.....and they have Skylines runnin 9's...

Old 12-09-2007, 04:44 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

You dont think? Im thinking that the 'vert wouldnt have the widespread appeal of a hardtop. I mean, there're plenty of areas in the country where a droptop isnt really all that practical. But an affordable, stylish coupe that offers solid performance and handling is aformula that winsevery time. In order to grab the true performance enthusiast thats what you have to offer if you want to be any kind of driving force in the market.

Strat, obviously you know all about the first 2 generations of Mitsu eclipse and all the ChryCo clones. Till '99 that car was ahot seller because it offered just what young enthusiasts wanted: Performance and style at an attainable price. Once they re-did that car and stopped offering all the hi-po goodies is where it went to crap. Now you can get a sweet looking Eclipse with decent enough performance or you can get an Evo with insane power but a bodystyle thats a total eyesore. I dont see too many of either on the roads. But they showed a ralliart version of that new eclipse with the Evo drivetrain stuck in it and Id guarantee you that something like that would sell like crazy even if offered under both Mitsu and Chrysler.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:11 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

but the problem with that is the cost. no one really makes a "bargain racer" anymore. the srt4 was just that, but the evo is far from it at $34k+. if mitsu was to make the evo-powered eclipse, it wouldnt perform as well due to the FWD, and it would surely cost almost as much as the evo.

Quick Reply: Eric Heuschele from SRT answers why SRT-4 is FWD