Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Dodge to Produce Track Ready Challenger!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:06 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dodge to Produce Track Ready Challenger!!

and what would a pro racer want with an 11 second car? for the performance of the ss, you can buy a Z06, and have a car that will turn out similar (if not better) ETs than what weve seen from both, and the Z06 is 70,000 ish.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:08 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why I was talking more of a road racer, I was thinking more of something to compete with the Mustangs and other carsin their division like the Challenger T/A's did back when they came out in '70. The SS is a very poor drag car considering it's cost vs. performance. If they seriously wanted to do a drag version it should be a few hundred pounds less and a few hundred horsepower more, it could make a good pro stocker with these changes. I don't see them doing a road or drag race version anyway, especially with their low production numbers, but then again I wouldn't have figured them to make a drift Charger either and they did.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:57 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

right..like when the hemi SS cuda and dart came out, they flat out destroyed everything on the road. our sponsor, bob george racing, had an original hemi ss dart when they were offered, and he still has it...with some tuning work and some monster skins, he ran in the 10s...when most of the stock street cars were only in the 14s..

Old 02-02-2008, 12:31 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most people would be very suprised to find out how much wiring, seats, soundproofing, computer casings, safety glass and mostly non-rubber tires actually weigh. Besides back in the 70's the Mopars were still some of the heaviest contenders out there anyway, but yet they still whooped up on a whole mess of muscle cars.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoopy, they all should be 800 lbs lighter. Fat pigs.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:31 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If they keep it to one year and 1000 units it will work for collectors.

I posted this video earlier this year.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do....photopanel..1

Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

1000 units? theyre only making 6400 production models...and the REAL hemi super stock models only saw some 50ish units....and those cars ran 10s with tires and a carb tune.
it says in that it ranan 11.6 @ 113, but in the video, the car is being babied out of the hole.

i run 12.30s-12.40s at 106-107...for those of you who arent experienced at the track, it takes one HELL of a short time to run my ETs with my traps. most people running 12.30s with s DOT tire are trapping in the 110+ range. what difference does this make? for a car to run 11.6 witha 113 trap, the car has to pull damn good short times...and when they show the SS concept launch, the thing barely pulls up on the front end. to pull a 1.67 short time, the mirada is almost carrying the front end. the runs that we are seeingin that video might be in the mid 12s, but they only show the reaction time.

maybe its because im one of the few people commenting who has been to a dragstrip, but this car is a terrible deal. the challenger concept weighs 4160lbs. the SS concept in the video has a track weight of 3500+lbs. thats 600, not 800, and that includes a dana rearend with 4.56 gears, a solid axle (not the setup found on the challenger concept) and an A999 with 456 gears and slicks.

as for the reports, when i see one for sale, ill believe it...and when i see a 525hp car run 11.60s with a curb weight of 3588lbs, ill truly be a believer. in a track calculator, it takes 404rwhp to trap 113 with a track weight of 3588 (stated in th article). that means that the car as tested has a drivetrain loss of 25%...and it will cost how much to run 11.60s? keep in mind, there are guys in the high 10s with a Z06 with simple parts and a tune, and there are people running mid 11s with almost stock GT500s, which come off the shelf in the mid 40 thousand range.

...and, all of this is dependant on the fact that the production challenger SS actually comes with an older rearend, transmission, and slicks...

when it becomes available for sale, ill admit that im surprised...when i see one STOCK...off the trailer with the 525hp 392cid engine, tires and all, run 11.60s, ill admit that i was wrong. ill settle for ONE doing it...not the average times.

they did a bangup job with the challenger, but so far to someone who has a bit of experience at the dragstrip; who actually knows what "mopar performance" is...im disappointed in this SS model, based on early reports.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:39 PM
CarGuyOhio

Its all how you look at the car. Take thecollector stand point. Just because it is a track car does not mean you have to be a hard core track guy to buy it. Many will end up in collections like Jay Leno's.

Look at history when it comes to alimited production car. Take a original 428 Cobra as an example, you can get 30+ times your sticker price 35 years later.

If they limit the production of the SS car (1-2 years under 1000units)it will do the same thing, no matter how many street cars they make. Makes a nice retirement fund.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:21 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

dodge has been getting their asses beat on the track for years now, and making some high priced garage sled isnt going to make them any more legitimate in the performance world.

it sounds like theyre doing nothing but making another viper..low production, high cost, and 1 out of 100 will actually see the light of day.

if they market this car as some "super high performance car", and what they turn out is a mid 11 second car that cant handle a turn, its only going to become a joke in the autotmotive world.

i dont think that 1000 units a year is going to make it all that rare of a collectors vehicle, especially if they charge big money for it...they should do what ford did with the cobra R and require a performance driving license for purchase...that way it keeps all of the old men who dont have the ***** to handle the car anyway from buying it and putting it away.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:45 PM
CarGuyOhio

1000 units is fine for a collector car, but it really does not matter much, I doubt Chrysler will do this anyhow, just gives us something to bitch about

Here is a Mustang, with 1000 made,actaully I think it was in the 700s but I find conflicting numbers on the net as high as 1000. Back in 68 it was 5K, which was pricey in 68. My Dad actually had one of these, traded it in on a VW bug in in the 70s when he got married! Can you say OOPS? If you go to BJ site and look it up you will see it sold for..... $475K.

Vehicle Details

LotNumber

Year

CarMake
FORD

CarModel
MUSTANG 428 CJ

CarStyle
FASTBACK

ExteriorColor
BLACK

Interiorcolor
BLACK

Cylinders

Engine

Transmission

Summary
428cid/556hp Cobra Jet V8 with a 4-speed transmission. Complete rotisserie restoration to award-wining specifications.

Description
"It is the Fastest Pure Stock in History of Man!" -Hot Rod Magazine, March 1968. These 68 1/2 428 Cobra-Jet 4 spds. Were available exclusively at Foulger Ford hi-performance sales. This car was bought brand new at the West Coasts number one hi-performance dealership, Foulger Ford. They were the envy of all other new car dealers, offering the unbeatable combination of street or strip performance being able to put a stop to the "Hemi" . This car can be found in the R-code 428 registry. It is a true documented Foulger Ford Mustang, coming out of sunny Southern California. The car was rust free and perfect prior to a meticulous two year professional, rotisserie documented restoration. This car is the rarest and fastest of performance Mustangs, Boss's and Shelby's included! Foulger Ford's Hemi-Hunter will challenge any or all muscle cars on its fit, finish, documents, and detail, but most of all its blinding performance at 556hp. Coincidentallly, it is the stable mate of Barrett-Jackson's world record black '67 Shelby! This Hemi-Hunter is the car to watch at Barrett-Jackson 2006! "Don't miss your chance to own the fastest car in the history of man!"

Vehicle Pictures[/align]

Quick Reply: Dodge to Produce Track Ready Challenger!!