Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

BREAKING: Chrysler and Nissan form "Partnership"

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:23 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BREAKING: Chrysler and Nissan form "Partnership"

...sorry "OEM Exchange" lol.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/14/b...ly-agreements/

Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
RamItOne
Default RE: BREAKING: Chrysler and Nissan form "Partnership"

DETROIT -- Under an expanded product sharing alliance announced today, Chrysler LLC will become Nissan's pickup truck manufacturer, while Nissan will make subcompacts for Chrysler.
The agreement means Nissan will discontinue making its Titan pickup when Chrysler starts making Nissan-badged trucks in 2011.
In exchange, Chrysler will get a Nissan-based small car, built at Nissan's Oppama, Japan, factory to Chrysler's own design starting in 2010. The new car is destined for North America, Europe and other global markets.
The Nissan-based small car will be built on a new Nissan platform to an already-completed Chrysler design, according to Chrysler co-President Tom LaSorda. He declined to say whether the design would be based on the Dodge Hornet concept car.
LaSorda said the deal will have no impact on its ongoing venture with Chinese carmaker Chery Automobile Co. The two companies continue to work jointly on products for North America and other markets, he said.
"At some point we believe we need more than one small car," for North America, LaSorda said. "We would be counting on Chery to provide that."
The Nissan-based small car will be built on a new platform.
Chrysler will make the Nissan pickup for Nissan at its Saltillo, Mexico, factory. To make room for the Nissan product, Chrysler will shift Dodge Ram production to its St. Louis North and Warren, Mich., truck plants. LaSorda said heavy duty production would likely be shifted to St. Louis North, while light duty production could easily be shifted to Warren. The Chrysler-built Nissan pickup will go on sale in North America in 2011.
In January, the two companies announced Nissan would supply Chrysler with a Versa-based sedan for sale in South America starting next year.
"Forging the right tactical partnerships is critical to the long-term success of Chrysler," said LaSorda in a prepared statement.
The companies said they "have also agreed to maintain an open dialogue to explore further product-sharing opportunities," according to a Chrysler press release.
LaSorda declined to discuss financial details of the agreement except to say that Chrysler would pay Nissan for vehicles the latter builds and vice versa.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nissan Ram lol

Old 04-15-2008, 07:28 PM
thefamilyguy209
Professional

you might laugh now...but its a good deal....I have been waiting for a strong RWD compact car for a while now. Chrysler design and nissan refinement. I hope its what i have been waiting for

Old 04-15-2008, 08:04 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

My head hurts...[:-]

Old 04-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by what Chrysler has been doing with small cars lately this is a good thing. Don't know why they're sticking with Chery too though... wouldn't catch me buying that crap

Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 AM
mb18
Record Breaker

We all said the same thing about Kia less than a decade ago, and now look how reliable and accepted they are. Shoot, with the warranty they have, you're covered even if they do break. I'd give the Chery/Chrysler car a shot, just not right away, like any new model.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of Kia's stuff still seems rather cheap and crappy, Hyundai's been the biggest surprise to me.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hyundai has really come along. I wouldn't say the same for Kia.

Quick Reply: BREAKING: Chrysler and Nissan form "Partnership"