Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler won't sell twins anymore

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chrysler won't sell twins anymore

Chrysler, cutting lineup, won't sell twins anymore
AutoBlog.com

Posted Apr 20th 2008 4:13PM by Michael Harley
Filed under: Car Buying, Plants/Manufacturing, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep

With Project Genesis in full swing, new revelations from Steven Landry, Chrysler executive vice president for North American Sales, have shed some more light on the corporate strategy to trim waste and turn the company around. As of now, dealers are under the belief that the automaker intends to cut its lineup by one-third to one-half. Supporting that assumption, Landry told a crowd at Northwood University that "twins" -- vehicles built on the same platform yet are sold under different brand names -- are out (think Jeep Liberty / Dodge Nitro). As Chrysler has more than a handful of twins, sold under several different brands, their dilemma will be in choosing which twin gets the axe, and which gets to survive.

[Source: Detroit Free Press]

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SS01/804190313

Old 04-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Default RE: Chrysler won't sell twins anymore

The twins of Chrysler LLC.

Liberty/Nitro (Nitro said to be dead)
Durango/Aspen (Aspen might go, Durango to be based off of next gen GC)
Avenger/Sebring (heard new designs are coming to both)
Charger/300/Magnum (already dead)/Challenger (shortened LX, will not go, obviously)
Caliber/Compass/Patriot (compass is said to be gone)
Caravan/Town & Country (neither will go according to Joe here at DF)
Grand Cherokee/Commander (Commander already dying, GC to take styling cues)

Thanks to SHAPman for this insider info: https://dodgeforum.com/fb.asp?m=1266310

anymore?

I think we all know which ones should be cut. But here's my thinking, I do not think either the 300 or Charger should be cut. I think both should stay.

I don't think the vehicles sharing platforms that REALLY differ are gonna go, but I'm glad they are doing this.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They can build on the same platform, as long as the body panels have their own lines. That is actually a smart thing to do, less overhead. Their cars do have more separation than GM. Ever see a Cobalt and G5 next to each other??

Given they are trying to consolidate all their dealerships it also makes sense (to have different looking cars). That consolidation has started here in Toledo. One of our Dodge dealerships, which sold Dodge, Mercedes and Porsche lost Dodge and their inventory now sits at a Chrysler dealership in Toledo. I am waiting to see what happens to the Jeep dealer who has Jeep, Pontiac and GMC.... I am guessing it will go to the other Dodge dealer in town as I noticed they are going through a building expansion.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

LOL The G5 and Cobalt are ridiculous.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:00 AM
djmagic
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think this is good and bad. One the aspen/ durango and tc/caravan are basically the same vechiles just different badges. The 300c/ charger/ challenger and magnum should have been left alone because they are all different. One a coupe, luxury, sport car sedan and a wagon. I'm kinda sad because i like the magnum and if i had kids that would most likely be my next vechile.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:33 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Midnight

The twins of Chrysler LLC.

Liberty/Nitro (Nitro said to be dead)
Durango/Aspen (Aspen might go, Durango to be based off of next gen GC)
Avenger/Sebring (heard new designs are coming to both)
Charger/300/Magnum (already dead)/Challenger (shortened LX, will not go, obviously)
Caliber/Compass/Patriot (compass is said to be gone)
Caravan/Town & Country (neither will go according to Joe here at DF)
Grand Cherokee/Commander (Commander already dying, GC to take styling cues)

Thanks to SHAPman for this insider info: https://dodgeforum.com/fb.asp?m=1266310

anymore?

I think we all know which ones should be cut. But here's my thinking, I do not think either the 300 or Charger should be cut. I think both should stay.

I don't think the vehicles sharing platforms that REALLY differ are gonna go, but I'm glad they are doing this.
Agreed, the 300 and Charger appeal to a different audience. There are some people who obsolutely hate the Charger and would never consider one, but will consider the 300's less bold, more luxurious look. Then there are people like me that find the 300 to be too dull and overpriced (reasons of interior as opposed to the LHS/300M interior) and wouldn't consider a 300, but love the Charger for its bold looks. You can't satisfy both crowds with one car.

Both of the minivans need to stay as well. Getting rid of the Caravan would be a big mistake as the term minivan generally brings up this popular nameplate and last time I checked it was the more popular one of the two. The T&C appeals to the more luxury focused market who think the Dodge nameplate is below them; however, plenty of people who don't want to (and won't if it comes to that) pay extra for the Chrysler nameplate and sightly different interior (such as my parents who have owned Caravans since 1991).

The Commander was a mistake, the fact of the matter is they should have just made a 7 passenger version of the GC instead of making two of basically the same nameplates. The Compass was a big mistake (wagons were for Eagle, not for Jeep). Though I think making a twin of the Patriot for Dodge might not be a bad idea as long as they stay away from the box on wheels styling found on the Nitro. I still think that they should give the Aspen more time as it earned one of the highest customer satisfcation ratings from CR. They might want to keep it as a lower production model and adjust the pricing accordingly. The Durango on the GC platform sounds like an idea I had in the back of my mind before the original Durango came out. The Sebring and Avenger look very different inside and out (thank goodness) unlike the Sebing/Stratus, the only thing that gives away that they are basically the same car is the engine and transmission offerings. The Sebring badly needs to be redone inside and out, and they both need a different powertrain line up. They need to retire the 4-speeds and use the 6-speeds only. They need to offer at least 255hp if not better on their top of the line versions to keep up with their competition because 235hp is leaving them in the dust. They need to find a replacement for the 2.7L for the practical V6 option (unless they could use much taller gearing on the 235hp 3.5L to get similar mileage and drop in a 300M Special spec 3.5L H.O. or SEMA StromTrooper spec 4.0L V6 for the top of the line models). The Liberty needs the 4.0L engine option as the 3.7L just isn't competitive with the current competition's offerings.

The Cobalt and G5 represent what is still wrong with GM, their economy cars get awful fuel mileage that is uncompetitive with their competition and until recently was being beaten in fuel economy by their own mid-sized cars which is just rediculous, the interior is still way too cheap, the exterior is so similar to other models it takes a several seconds to make sure what model it is, the Chevrolet offering has a performance version and the Pontiac doesn't (which is really backwards), etc.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:30 AM
crh47

Here we go...IMO..
The Commander, while I like the styling, needs to go. Next gen GC needs 3rd row option. Problem solved.
The Nitro was also an asnwer to the question noone asked. Nice front end, but that's it. Leave this type of vehicle to the Liberty (although they should change it back to Cherokee).
As for the Sebring/Avenger, where do I start. Yes, the 300 and Charger were great designs. But that doesn't mean you can squish them and call it your midsize, not to mention the shotty interiors and 4 speed trannies. Scrap this and call it what it is...a mistake and a big loss. I don't think you have to axe one of them. Just do a better job with both.
"Intrepid" mentioned that Dodge could use a version of the Patriot. Well, the Patriot and the Compass (WTF) are both based off the Caliber platform. Obviously, the Patriot is the better and more loyal to the Jeep brand. The Compass is bordering on Aztec ugliness. Get rid of it. The Caliber could use a little more softness, also. It doesn't have to be that "in your face."
Finally, the company will thrive or disappear based on the new LY twins, Charger/300 replacements. Both cars have a market, so there is no need to axe one. Listen to me Chysler, you can't mess these up. Quality interiors, power w/ fuel saving technology, and the right designs, and Chysler will be back...again...one more time...well, you know what I mean.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:41 AM
crh47

Almost forgot...

Durango/Aspen - Axe the Aspen unless chrysler goes further upscale. Right now, it's just a trim level, similar to Ford/Lincoln models. If it could be differentiated more and become premium, there's a chance. Durango itself has become too bubbly...needs overhaul.

Keep both the vans. There will always be a market, although it's becoming more and more niche.

I love the Journey!!! So much that we bought one, so I'm a little partial. Not the greatest interior, but definitely better than the Avenger/Sebring/Caliber/etc. Definitley something to build on.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

ORIGINAL: crh47

Almost forgot...

Durango/Aspen - Axe the Aspen unless chrysler goes further upscale. Right now, it's just a trim level, similar to Ford/Lincoln models. If it could be differentiated more and become premium, there's a chance. Durango itself has become too bubbly...needs overhaul.

Keep both the vans. There will always be a market, although it's becoming more and more niche.

I love the Journey!!! So much that we bought one, so I'm a little partial. Not the greatest interior, but definitely better than the Avenger/Sebring/Caliber/etc. Definitley something to build on.
I gotta agree with you on the journey...if I buy a family car I would deff. pick that over a caravan. I'm not a huge fan of the new caravans looks, however the seats are really comfortable...

Old 05-02-2008, 05:14 PM
crh47

My wife wouldn't be caught dead in a "not so mini" minivan, so Journey was perfect.

Quick Reply: Chrysler won't sell twins anymore