Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler: Chery exports not ready for US

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chrysler: Chery exports not ready for US

Chrysler: Chery exports not ready for US

By ELAINE KURTENBACH – 1 day ago

BEIJING (AP) — Chrysler LLC's talks on a possible joint venture with China's Chery Automobile Co. are progressing but a China-made car being produced by the alliance is not ready for the U.S. market, Chrysler executives said Sunday.

Chery is among several potential partners Chrysler is considering as it prepares to ramp up local production with the aim of joining the ranks of China's top 10 automakers, said Phil Murtaugh, chief executive of Chrysler's Asia operations.

"We have no progress to report, but we really are satisfied with those discussions," Murtaugh told reporters at the Beijing auto show.

Chery and Chrysler made a "strategic cooperation agreement" last year to produce a low-cost vehicle to be sold under Chrysler's Dodge brand in the United States and other markets.

"I think the discussions are progressing well. That's all I can say about it," said Murtaugh.

Murtaugh is a former longtime General Motors Corp. executive who was credited with establishing GM's leading presence in China. He joined Chrysler last year after a stint at Shanghai Automotive Industries Corp., one of GM's Chinese partners.

Murtaugh and Mike Manley, Chrysler Group's vice president for international sales and dealer operations, said the car being developed with Chery is not ready for sale in the United States.

"Neither Chrysler nor Chery is comfortable that those products as they exist today meet the requirements of Chrysler, and we're working together to make changes that we're both happy with," Murtaugh said.

"I don't think we're too far away, but neither one of us are ready to say 'Let's go' yet," he added. "We're working on making sure the product's right."

Chery Chairman Yin Tongyao, speaking at a separate event, was cautious about his aspirations to begin U.S. sales after years of pledging to break into the North American market.

North America and Europe are "very mature markets," Yin said. "We can't get into those markets too quickly, so we should explore those markets in a gradual manner and do it step-by-step. We should not aim too high."

The executives said Chery compacts must meet not only regulatory standards but requirements set by the companies themselves in order to meet customer expectations.

"Safety is a huge challenge because of the size of the car," Murtaugh said. "There are some challenges. They are not huge changes but they are technical challenges in certain parts of the car."

Old 04-22-2008, 03:55 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chrysler: Chery exports not ready for US

Why can't Dodge just build the hornet here... go look up safety ratings and reviews for the Chinese brands, you don't want that. Heck the only reason I'm not worried about them using a small car from Nissan is the confidence I lost in their decision making when they killed the Neon and never brought out a proper replacement. I mean if they're going to make decisions like that might as well let someone else build your car for you, it'll probably be better off...

Old 04-22-2008, 05:58 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Screw China! I don't care how cheap it is QUALITY always suffers, especially when it comes from China. I don't think there's any need to explain it really...

America is going to kick themselves if China has a market in the US

Old 04-28-2008, 10:53 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is such a bad idea and I can't believe that they can't read the writing on the wall. Look at the companies that have simple products such as toys built over there, they use things such as lead paint that have not been allowed for use for many years. What do you think will happen if they build cars? They'll use Firestone Wilderness tires, place the gas tank between the bumper and the rear axle, use the wrong A/C coolents, they'll use the wrong type of paint, and who knows what else. Chrysler take a loan if you need to, just spend the blasted money and have things done correctly for the first time since before the merger when you would spend the blasted money.

Quick Reply: Chrysler: Chery exports not ready for US