Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

GM asks gov to Buy Chrysler ******

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess so. but my family is also not the type of people who if there's a squeak we complain or whatever. we live with it cause its just a car. but if we include the squeak, then ok our Sebrings have a slight squeak but u have to listen to it very carefully to hear it. and its just one of the bolts need some lube.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:23 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my guess now is that
Congress will quickly authorize multi-billion dollar loan guarantees
to Chrysler
without a GM merger
....if this is what the UAW wants

Old 11-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRod98
I feel dumber for having read this
He's not that far off, actually.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

moe in wichita ks
is Lee Iacoca still alive?

Old 11-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Axe07
Rookie

Somebody needs to do something. Big shocker here.

Heres some great quotes from the new CR reliability rankings....

Chrysler trails the pack. Almost two-thirds of its products rate below average for reliability. The redesigned 2008 Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan minivans earned low scores, as did the Chrysler Sebring V6 and Dodge Avenger sedans and the Jeep Liberty SUV. The Sebring Convertible has the worst score: 283 percent worse than average. The only above-average models are the Dodge Caliber hatchback and Jeep Patriot SUV.

Toyota seems to have rectified some of the problems-all 42 of the Toyota, Lexus, and Scion models in our survey scored average or better. While the three models noted above scored merely average, most models got above-average Ratings.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ Chrysler minivans have been problematic since Day 1, yet they sell in droves, which I cannot fathom why.
I've also said for years that Chrysler vehicles have been notorious for electrical issues which never seem to get resolved.

Nope, if the manufacturers can't solve their own problems, then they should die out.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

wa-hoo we are safe from GM!

"General Motors announced that it would be discontinuing talks with Cerberus over a possible purchase of Chrysler."

Chrysler LLC just released a statement from Bob Nardelli in which the CEO responds, in a way, to General Motors' third quarter earnings report. In the report, GM acknowledged that it had "recently explored the possibility of a strategic acquisition". While not citing Chrysler by name, we all know the strategic acquisition in question is the Auburn Hills-based automaker currently owned by private equity group Cerberus Capital Management. Nardelli responds by comically not confirming that his company was GM's target, reiterating for the umpteenth time that Chrysler doesn't talk about its business dealings with other companies because they often lead nowhere, like in this case we suppose. Of course, though his response confirms nothing, its mere existence confirms everything. All Nardelli does say is that Chrysler will continue to explore "multiple strategic alliances" that will aid its own turnaround effort. Carlos Ghosn, the prominent figurehead of Nissan/Renault whose companies were also on the short list of merger partners for Chrysler, should check his voicemail right about now.

[Source: Chrysler, LLC]

Last edited by srtgtr34; 11-07-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
^^ Chrysler minivans have been problematic since Day 1, yet they sell in droves, which I cannot fathom why.
I've also said for years that Chrysler vehicles have been notorious for electrical issues which never seem to get resolved.

Nope, if the manufacturers can't solve their own problems, then they should die out.
In what sense. My parents have had two and they love both of them. The first one's problems were with the suspension and eventually the engine. The second one's only problems thus far have been the climate control **** fusing and needing replacement & the A/C needing a refrigerant recharge, for a 7 year old vehicle with around 125K, I think that is very noteworthy.

We have had way more electrical problems with one GM product than the seven Chrysler products we have had in my lifetime.

Frankly my cousin had more electrical problems with her Passat than we have had with any of our Chrysler products.

I have serious doubts about the accuracy about those ratings. The funny thing is they claimed that the Acclaim/Spirit were the most reliable American cars in its segment at its time but claimed the replacements were nowhere near as reliable. Based on what I have seen first hand, I think that needs to be reevaluated. The problems that I have seen with these models were they had issues with stalling pretty much anytime you didn't have your foot on the throttle no matter what speed you were traveling at. The engines had the worst time regulating their temperature. The engines used a lot of oil. The replacement models resolved these problems, with an exception for the last one which improved to a degree. The interior quality between the two was a day and night difference. The Acclaim/Spirit were rattle traps. Things operated in a clunky matter. Things fell apart in no time. The replacements were far more quiet and far more smooth. The interior on those although they were not perfect if taken care of properly did not show much aging beyond a few fit and finish flaws. The steering sounded like it was trying to hum an opera on the Acclaim/Spirit, the replacements were mostly quiet.

CR will never be considered an accurate outlet in my view as they keep changing their mind on whether the Charger or 300 is more reliable and disagree between the two on whether the V8 or V6 is more trustworthy.

Honda has never been able to fully resolve their transmission issues. Should they die out? VW has had tons of problems with electronics. Should they die out? Nissan has had problems with their I4 line. Should they die out?

Old 11-08-2008, 01:53 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

They all have problems. These are machines and are of a mechanical nature. They will fail from time to time. If not, there would not have been service centers all over town back in the day and dealership service departments, or even maintenance personnel in factory's and plants.
Anything mechanical is prone to failure. Some just less than others. My Dad has a trouble free 08 Grand Caravan, my uncle has a trouble free 07 Town and Country and I have a trouble free 07 Grand Caravan. I many other friends and neighbors with these vans, some older, and they are basically trouble free.
GM has the worst wiring of the big three, Dodge is known for weak transmissions in the past and Ford had spark plug issues on their 5.4L and V10. Stuff happens to all makes and models. It's a fact of life. I have 3 Fords and 3 Dodges and they are all well built machines.

Oh yes, this is very good news as posted above http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...53/1361/UPDATE

Last edited by lxman1; 11-08-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 AM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Originally Posted by JayRod98
I feel dumber for having read this
That so? Well let me make you feel a little dumber: Government F's up everything it touches. Their mandates only serve the politicians themselves and whoever's in their pockets. Let me cite a small example of what Ive been talking about...

Remember when they outlawed freon in favor of R134? This was since freon supposedly depletes the ozone layer. R134 doesnt. If you look at that fact at face value and dont dig any deeper, then that's probably right. BUT.....

Freon and all chloroflourocarbons are heavier than air. They dont float up miles into the atmosphere to eat at ozone. They cant. They settle down in pockets along the ground. They are biodegradeable and non-toxic. Now, it'll freeze you if you get it on your skin which is no good. But while they might well damage ozone, theyd never get anywhere near it to do so.

R134 however is extremely toxic. I think its even a high level carcinogen. It takes a much larger, more complex system to contain and isnt nearly as efficient at cooling as freon. The process to manufacture it isnt as efficient or environmentally friendly. Its also more costly.

So why would anyone with 3 active brain cells want to use R134 in place of freon? Well that's simple: Dupont had re-upped the patent on freon all it could. There was nothing else they could change to it and so they'd lose the monopoly on freon and lose millions. Enter R134. All ya gotta do is convince the treehuggers that freon is an environmental hazard and they'll do the rest. Plenty of lobbying later, the whole public is behind it and Im sure dupont dumped plenty of dough into greenpeace, sierra club, etc as well as took care of the right politicians. Now we're stuck with a lousier, more toxic, more expensive refrigerant.

Feel dumber yet, pal? If not, then let me tell you about catalytic converters sometime. here's a hint: The government mandated these things to cut pollutants. What do they catalyze them into? All that CO2 thats supposedly causing global warming. And thats when they work properly.

So before you go making random comments about a common sense post maybe you ought to back it up with some facts.

Quick Reply: GM asks gov to Buy Chrysler ******