DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Brand News, Concepts & Rumors (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/brand-news-concepts-and-rumors-29/)
-   -   2008 Pickup of the year :( (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/brand-news-concepts-and-rumors/180019-2008-pickup-of-the-year.html)

lxman1 11-14-2008 10:59 PM

2008 Pickup of the year :(

Well, even though our beloved Hemi got a power increase, it was quite unimpressive in the truck of the year contest by pickuptruck.com.

Loaded and unloaded, it was outdone by almost all except the underpowered 5.4L Ford. http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....shoot-out.html

This is not good. I expected better. It's the crappy 5-speed with too big of a RPM drop into second that kills it loaded. We need a well spaced 6-speed asap!!

mantisman51 11-15-2008 01:17 AM

This is exactly what I have have spoke of on various posts. The test Dodge in the comparo had a 3.92 axle and 390 hp. Let's look at the Nissan-316 hp and 3.36 axle. A far weaker engine and a higher gear ratio rear end beat the Dodge, or even the Ford? There is no way in hell! This was rigged. Either the testers lied, or Nissan threw a ringer in. The laws of physics says that is impossible-unless the Nissan weighs about 3500 lbs. Nope, 5480 lbs. It seems the Nissan and Pickuptrucks.com are so good, they have managed to change the laws of physics.

Midnight SRT 11-15-2008 04:48 AM

A lot of the reviews I've seen for the new Ram have said it's the overall best new truck.

CarGuyOhio 11-15-2008 05:15 AM

One reviewer will say x is better. The other will say y is better.

All you need to know is drive them for yourself, pic the one you like. Who cares what they like.

BadStratRT 11-15-2008 10:57 AM

ive driven the new chevy, ford, toyota, and dodge in a head to head, on road and off road comparison test, and the ford and dodge were neck and neck through everything. if you were restricting yourself to the half ton trucks, and you needed to tow a heavy ass trailer, the ford is probably the better choice, stock for stock. i was incredibly unhappy with how the ram pulled a 7000lb trailer, but if i was that concerned with towing, i wouldnt be looking at a 1500. however, by actual performance measures, the ram is the better truck.

ford wanted to make the new f150 more functional, and it is...but the ram is far sportier and can do almost everything that the ford can. i was shocked at how much nicer the new f150 is compared to the 08s.

HammerZ71 11-15-2008 12:21 PM

I've had the opportunity to drive and play around a little with the new Ford & Toyota plus have driven an '07 Chevy with the 5.3. I have not had the chance to drive the '09 Dodge yet, but my experience with the '03-'08s tells me one thing.
The Hemi is a higher rpm loving engine and as such, to take full advantage of the engine's awsome power it really needs taller gearing (at least 4.10, but better yet 4.56s) and the tranny shifts need to take place at higher rpm's. With just those two modifications, the Hemi has it all over any of the other offerings that I've driven, even though it's still saddled by what is in my opinion, the industries worst automatic transmissions with really lousy torque converters.
But I guess you could take any brand truck and put the right mods in it and make it a winner over everyone else's stock offerings...

Axe07 11-15-2008 12:30 PM

Every comparison test Ive ever read (including the 09 Popular Mechanics one) since 04 puts the Titan faster than the Hype. I mean Hemi. What part of this is it that you dont understand? I know, all the professional drivers are wrong, and you are right.

BadStratRT 11-15-2008 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Axe07 (Post 1454410)
Every comparison test Ive ever read (including the 09 Popular Mechanics one) since 04 puts the Titan faster than the Hype. I mean Hemi. What part of this is it that you dont understand? I know, all the professional drivers are wrong, and you are right.

since youre such a magazine racer, you should also know that the next gen nissan titan is going to be built by dodge, with the hemi...so the titan is SO great that nissan is scraping it and paying dodge to build their HT trucks.

lxman1 11-15-2008 01:37 PM

I was hoping for better results from the Dodge. I think the 5speed tranny with too big of a drop from 1st to 2nd is a main factor. This was even mentioned in the article I think. The Ford 6speed really woke the 310hp 5.4L up.
Hopefully this will be remedied soon. Jim Press says that they are in talks with 3 different transmission suppliers right now.

BadStratRT 11-15-2008 02:04 PM

i believe that its 320 from the 5.4...and in the towing exercise, it was clearly a trans issue that killed the ram.