DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Brand News, Concepts & Rumors (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/brand-news-concepts-and-rumors-29/)
-   -   The end of the Cummins (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/brand-news-concepts-and-rumors/23468-the-end-of-the-cummins.html)

clgtide 04-27-2005 01:23 PM

The end of the Cummins

I have heard from a number of people that Dodge is changing the Cummins after '06 models to a Mercedes. Has any else heard this

TeeWJay426 04-27-2005 02:16 PM

RE: The end of the Cummins

I've heard that as well, but I thought it was at the end of the 2007 model year....... that's when the contract with Cummins ends.

m10rules 04-27-2005 02:44 PM

Guessing by mid-fall there will be some solid rumors as to the fate of the Ram/Cummins. Personally I think even Chrysler wouldn't be stupid enough to just drop the Cummins motor, one of the other truck manufacturers will come running for it and will take some of the Ram following with it.

Drew 04-27-2005 04:58 PM

I can understand why DC would move away from Cummins as their Diesel suplier and go for and inhouse Mercedes, or even a Detroit Diesel. yes DC owns DD. It comes down to money. if Mercedes or DD can supply DC a Diesel motor that has the same HP and torque rateings as the Cummins but for cheaper since it's an inhouse product them by all means, pass the buck.

But what DC is forgetting about are the people that buy this truck for the reliability, longevity, and overall power the Cummins Engine has.

I'm getting the newest issue of the TDR Mag soon and it is a huge deal and has been discussed in length many times. I'll see what it has to say if anything is different

In terms of Brand Loyalty, it's a bad idea for DC

farmer_truck 04-27-2005 06:36 PM

I've heard the same, except that Ford may be getting Cummins once their contract is done. I think its a good thing. Mercedes has been making diesels for a long time, and besides the engine in the Ram, the rest of the Cummins engines are no hell.

ViperGTS 04-28-2005 12:33 AM

Ford may be getting Cummins once their contract is done.
That is NOT good. Ford will finally get something reliable.....the engine atleast :D

-Matt-

Drew 04-28-2005 02:17 PM

the word about ford making a deal through cummins for an engine has been around for a long time. There are those who still believe that Ford owns Cummins, to which they do not and have never owned Cummins. Ford has at times contracted engines from Cummins for their OTR trucks.

Cummins engines being found in Ford trucks is nothing new. there are many people who drop the 6.oh-no out and drop in a Cummins. There are even those who replace the 7.3 PS once it's worn out with the 5.9 Cummins.

Now, if Ford did get a contract for Cummins to build engines for thie SD trucks, Ford would meddle with the engines to the point where they would be crap. This is one thing Dodge didnt do. They do have certian things they do to the engines, but for the most part, Dodge leaves the engines alone. Ford took the 6.0 International-Navistar engine and turned it into a POC.

IMHO I highly doubt Ford will sign a contract with Cummins. If they do, the engine will not be the same ever again.

Kensai 04-30-2005 07:04 PM

I remember bob mentioned something from another thread that Dodge and cummins are working on a new v6 and v8 possible engines for the 1500 series and possibly the durango/dakota trucks. Hopefully that is a good thing and dodge and cummins to continue its partnership.

srtommy 04-30-2005 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: farmer_truck

I've heard the same, except that Ford may be getting Cummins once their contract is done.

I would be logical since Ford basically owns Cummins.

m10rules 04-30-2005 07:56 PM

Here is something from the Cummins website...

The Cummins Advantage.

Today, as North America emerges from a recession and the world economy starts to improve, Cummins is in an enviable position.

Our proven products are #1 or #2 in virtually every market, from mining to recreational marine. In the trucking industry, our ISX and ISM engines have proven their reliability and customer acceptance, with more than 40,000 sold and over 1 billion miles run since October, 2002. DaimlerChrysler has extended our contract to provide diesel engines for the Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel beyond 2007.