Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee to get diesel option, could Ram 1500 follow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:21 PM
DodgeForum Editor
DF Editor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee to get diesel option, could Ram 1500 follow?

BadStratRT speculates about what other diesel options Chrysler might unveil.

https://dodgeforum.com/articles/2011...dfdec11-1.html

Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 PM
dodgetruck2
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I read something a couple years ago about Cummins throwing around the ideas of a small V8 or V6 for the 1500's and possibly jeeps. Whatever became of that?

Old 12-28-2011, 01:24 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
I read something a couple years ago about Cummins throwing around the ideas of a small V8 or V6 for the 1500's and possibly jeeps. Whatever became of that?
Good question?

All I got to say is that finally we get a diesel.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 AM
bruno426
Captain

Oh for the love of god, can we get someone in any of the truck manufacturers to pull their heads out of where the sun don't shine.

Seriously, the NUMBER ONE PLACE they have been getting feedback that they need to put a diesel is the half ton, yet they choose the Grand Cherokee.

We all know what is probably going to happen. When it sells lower numbers than they wanted, they will can the diesel half tons and all other vehicles under 3/4 ton for another 5-10 years, meanwhile giving every other company even more time to get one to market before Chrysler.

Seriously, cummins has the engine ready, they have had it ready for what 3 years at this point, and yet Chrysler keeps going around in circles with it. Jesus some days I just want to find where the room is with all these executives, and punch each one in the face, maybe it will knock some sense into them...nah, they never learn.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:08 PM
peoples1234
Rookie

Everyone says they want it, we will see how many buy it.

Manufacturers hesitate to implement diesel's because we have shown that we don't buy them in the past.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by peoples1234
Everyone says they want it, we will see how many buy it.

Manufacturers hesitate to implement diesel's because we have shown that we don't buy them in the past.
Diesel now are like night and day compared to the old ones as far a user friendly. They start easy, get great fuel economy, and are quieter. The problem is proving that to people.........

Old 12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
dodgetruck2
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
Diesel now are like night and day compared to the old ones as far a user friendly. They start easy, get great fuel economy, and are quieter. The problem is proving that to people.........
Am I the only one that wants mine louder? lol

I am still wondering why the 4BT Cummins was never a factory thing. Its been used in delivery trucks and stuff for sometime and I have seen a few half-tons with them swapped in. Possibly even the B3.3

In todays society I don't see why everyone and there brother doesn't have one (diesel in general). Seems that is the way everyone wants to go, better fuel economy.

Almost seems that they are starting harder, let the heat coil run once and mine fires in about 3 seconds even at 20*F. Been driving a friends 08 6.7L this week and you have to let the coil run and then crank 20-30 seconds. Also about 20*F. I personally blame it on the emission and restriction it places on the engine, and economy is going down the tubes too. They are excited to see 10-11mpg pulling with the 6.7. The only way I can make mine that bad would be to drill a hole in the tank.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

I agree emissions are killing the fuel economy. There is a guy here did a dpf delete on his 07 6.7l. Last time he drove unloaded 72mph on the highway he got 23, 17 loaded down. I love diesels louder but for most people they don't like them loud.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear god please don't bother putting that pittiful 3.0 CRD in a Ram! Why would anyone in their right mind buy a truck with almost literally half the power?? I doubt it would get much better than the 25mpg that the 5.6 V8 Cummins was getting during testing. That would still be a tough sell with 320hp at this point, but at least it has 550ft-lbs of torque.

Now, an AWD 300 with said 3.0 CRD on the other hand... My wife would be all over that.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:23 AM
ramboss97

The main reason most folks don't buy diesels is because they (used to) STINK. Well, if they could listen to, smell, and drive a new diesel-powered vehicle, the majority, I would think, would change their minds. The main advantage with diesels is, of course, fuel economy. With some changes and tweaking, they can get phenomenal fuel economy. I know of at least 4 people who currently own Dodge heavy-duties (and one of 'em is a 1997 RAM pickup) and are getting 30 MPG or MORE. Now, that ain't chicken feed. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why Chrysler doesn't offer diesels in ALL their light-duty pickups AND SUV's. It's the way of the future. Forget electric, at least for now. The range sucks, as does the cost. The only electric hybrid vehicle that is worth buying today is the Chevy Volt. (but it ain't no pickup) Give me a 3/4-Ton with the Cummins and I'll be as happy as a fish in water...

Quick Reply: 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee to get diesel option, could Ram 1500 follow?