Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Dodge 1500 Diesel Spotted In Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 06:17 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge 1500 Diesel Spotted In Detroit

http://wot.motortrend.com/spied-dies...up-215841.html

Looks like the rumors of a 1500 diesel are true. But it seems Chrysler is teasing us with this "photo op" since they could have filled that thing up at their own facilities. My personal thoughts on a small diesel pickup is that it had better get HUGE fuel mileage to make up the difference in the cost of diesel relative to gas.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:39 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The link isn't loading for me right now, but I am curious to see mpg's and power numbers in a 1500.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:39 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

That picture doesn't show anything. I think it was a BP station in Vegas that had green handles on the gas pumps, maybe yellow for diesel? Either way, I've pulled into stations thinking they had diesel because of the green handles and they haven't.

I would love a 1500 diesel, although I would MUCH prefer the 5.0 Cummins V8 that was apparently ready to go, over the 3.0 VM Motori unit in the Jeep Grand Cherokee that is rumored to show up in the 1500.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:57 AM
bruno426
Captain

Dont get your hopes up, I test drove one of the darts yesterday and started a conversation with the dealers there if they had heard anything on a dodge diesel halfton.

According to them, Dodge/Ram was "considering it", but its already up on the chopping block without any real time to test it.

So pack it up guys nothing to see here, move along, this is nothing more than dodge's standard.
"Lets put a diesel in what we know it won't sell well in (cherokee) and make it look like we are considering diesels in other vehicles. Then when people don't buy the diesel in massive numbers we put in vehicles specifically chosen to fail, we will cancel the program for all diesels other than 3/4 ton and up trucks."

How many times has dodge done this before? I can think of about 3 just sitting here doing no research at all.

Its all just a giant mindf*&$ by a company that gets its jollies doing this every few years.

Its seriously like they just ignore all their research. I asked the dealer if they ever have people ask about a diesel half ton. Their response was "You would never imagine how many people ask for it, and yet dodge ignores that massive feedback"

You know its bad when dealers give responses like that. Dodge had hype....LOTS OF IT when the leaks were appearing about the small cummins engines. Now they are gonna put a VM engine in a half ton? Yeah Ill believe this one when I see it. Just like the Jeep truck that was already supposed to be out for several years.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:08 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The EPA has squashed most of the hope for a 1/2 ton diesel. They strangle them down so much that they become inefficient so the power and mpg's are down.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:44 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Yep. Now is a horrible time to release a new diesel, if they would have done it back in, say 02/03 with the then-new bodystyle, they would have had something. With the current crop of crap hung aft of the turbo....the additional cost with a marginal gain is hard to justify. Would I buy one? Absolutely. But it would be fully deleted as soon as the aftermarket stepped up.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:16 PM
jim1999
Professional

nice!

Quick Reply: Dodge 1500 Diesel Spotted In Detroit