Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)
View Poll Results: Will the Cummins powered Nissan Titan have any impact on the Ram?
Yes, the Titan will steal some business from Ram with the Cummins V8.
22.22%
No. Even with a Cummins V8 - the Titan will likely still suck.
77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week Will the Cummins powered Nissan Titan have any impact on the Ram

Old 09-23-2013, 06:51 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question of the Week Will the Cummins powered Nissan Titan have any impact on the Ram

With the news that the next generation Nissan Titan coming with a 5.0L Cummins diesel V8, we want to know if you think that this new engine will allow the Titan to make a real run at the Ram? Will anyone opt for the Titan rather than the Ram because Nissan will offer a diesel V8?

Click here for some pros and cons from the DF Front Page.

Make sure to vote in our poll and comment below why you think that the Nissan Titan will or will not be a bigger threat to the Ram with the new Cummins engine.

Last edited by master tech; 10-05-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Nissan is having poor sales with their trucks. And since dodge is going with the FIAT diesel engines. Cummis needed to find a new product line. I believe Nissan was trying to buy the Ram truck back in 2009 or 2010. Last I heard that Nissan was going to drop the truck line. That was last year. 2012

Old 09-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Jay_Crown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I wanted a Honda Civic type of car I would buy a Jap. Why by a truck from a country that has an incredibly small truck market.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:27 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
Nissan is having poor sales with their trucks. And since dodge is going with the FIAT diesel engines. Cummis needed to find a new product line. I believe Nissan was trying to buy the Ram truck back in 2009 or 2010. Last I heard that Nissan was going to drop the truck line. That was last year. 2012
Before Fiat bought Chrysler, Chrysler had a deal with Nissan to build the next generation Titan..and it was supposed to come with the Cummins V8 and a renamed version of the Hemi. When Fiat bought Chrysler, Fiat was quick to axe that deal as Fiat competes in Europe with Nissan/Renault...which put Nissans truck program in jeopardy.

The titan is so uncompetitive and sells so poorly that the other companies dont mention it in comparisons.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No big deal, it's good to have another diesel option out there in between. I wouldn't buy it. Nissan is still known for their long living small trucks. One of those with a small 2.0 Japanese diesel would sell big I bet.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Atomic Dog
Professional

Too bad that deal for Dodge to build Nissan Titans blew up. Dodge could have made some good money building Nissans and hopefully learned a few tricks along the way. Oh well. As mentioned Nissan is the smallest player in this market so what does this deal really matter? It only matters if the new Ram diesels suck, and it drives people to other brands. Not a likely scenario.

Still a 300HP diesel might hit a sweet spot for efficiency and power? I am not a diesel fan, so maybe some of the diesel fans can offer an opinion about how well a 300HP/500 pound feet engine would do in a full size truck.

Last edited by Atomic Dog; 10-01-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:46 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it might help Nissan a bit. I doubt it will make them an over the night success, I doubt it will make their sales climb over the Tundras sales, but I would expect that it would help them as some might see it as a chance to get a less expensive engine from Cummins. The reason why I say that I is I know GM and Ford guys whom own a Ram only because it has a Cummins. The only real concern I would have is if their partnership with Daimler results in Daimler letting them look at any notes taken from during the days of the leach marriage of the DAIMLERchrysler years.

All in all, I think Dodge made the right move using a Diesel that is focused more at economy than heavy duty purposes. This gives people the chance to get a full sized truck getting fuel economy of a midsized car with towing capabilities of last gen's Hemi. Having too powerful a diesel could threaten the premium paid for the 2500/3500 6.7L Cummins. I personally wish they would have gone with a Cummins sourced engine (4.5L I4 ISB or V6 version of the 5.0L Cummins), but this is better than nothing.

Last edited by 97 3.5 Intrepid; 10-02-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran

I don't really see it being a problem. The people who buy Ram 2500/3500 diesels are towing heavy loads, loads that sometimes go outside the safe range of a 1/2 ton truck. Plus with diesels from the the big 3 making 385 hp or more and 800 lbs of tq or more, I don't see it being a problem. It might be a problem for the 1/2 truck market where people are tired of getting 12 mpg combined in their gas V8 powered pick up truck. Plus, who would want to tow with a truck where the most common gear ratios are 2.97 and 3.36 inside a 8.8 inch axle. Not exactly made for towing, or really not even made for dealing with the higher torque of a diesel motor.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:04 AM
D0dgeRam1500
Amateur

420 ft-lbs and mid to high 20's in gas mileage? I think Dodge will be fine with the 3.0L Eco Diesel.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:42 PM
BackInBlack43
Professional

cant really imagine that die hard cummins fans are going to favor a v8 over the proven I6

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question of the Week Will the Cummins powered Nissan Titan have any impact on the Ram