Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Mega Cab Info Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 03:49 PM
MoparMax
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mega Cab Info Wanted

Why would it lose money if it was only produced when someone wanted to order one? The picture of the one at the TX Fair is not an 8 foot bed. The mega cab has this huge cab and a Lincoln Blackwood looking bed. That is very weak. It needs an 8 foot bed as an option.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:45 PM
srtommy
Veteran

It says duallies will arrive in January? My guess will be more like late February (if it gets built). The plants shut down for 2-3 weeks in Dec-Jan. That would mean Dodge would have to build a bunch of them before the holiday shut down. If Dually production is anything like Ford's, there is no way they'll have enough time to get them all over the country. My guess is that Texas will get the majority, if not all, of them before the rest of the country sees any. Ford has a short box dually too. It is virtually impossible to pull a fifth wheel safely with one. Turning is limited with a short box and a fifth wheel, unless you get an extender for the pin. You would have to make sure the front of your fifth wheel is rounded and not square. I am going to say that I don't think the dually will be ready for the January launch, as stated. It's funny that they brought to Texas and not anywhere else.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:16 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

while a mega cab with an 8-foot bed might be practical....the ugliness would outweigh the practicality. they would barely sell any if they made it.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:38 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

only produced when someone wanted to order one?
Maintanance, workers building the different trucks, new equipment, more space needed, more jobs needed, patends/trademarks for the name, and stuff like that would make costs exceed the profit. Plus with higher gas prices and a lower demand for fuel guzzlers would make the 8foot bed lose more profit...

Ford has a short box dually too. It is virtually impossible to pull a fifth wheel safely with one.
You can put a 5th weel on a Cummins QC, or this short bed Mega Cab no problem.

-Matt-

Old 10-06-2005, 11:10 AM
MoparMax
Rookie

I just bought a new Durango last Firday and the saleman and myself were looking at the new Mega Cab they had, and he said the funniest thing after I asked him if it was going to be available with an 8 foot bed...he said "90-95 percent of the customers that had seen this truck (Mega Cab) had asked him if it would be availabe with an 8 foot bed." So don't tell me they would sit on the sales lot and go unsold because that Bull Fertilizer!

Old 10-06-2005, 04:17 PM
srtommy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

You can put a 5th weel on a Cummins QC, or this short bed Mega Cab no problem.

-Matt-
I realize that. It just wouldn't be me doing it. Have you ever seen one that couldn't make the turn? Big damage.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing I dont like about the 6foot dualy bed is it looks VERY retro like one of the 1st gen dualies.

if your gunna have a dualy you need the 8 foot bed.

anyway, the turning radius for a 5vr in a 6 foot bed can be compensated for with a slider 5vr

Old 10-07-2005, 02:51 PM
MoparMax
Rookie

srtommy, what big turn are you speaking of?

Old 10-07-2005, 02:58 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

I think he meant having a large degree turn made by the QC with the 6 foot bed. The trailer would hit the cab. For example, making a left hand turn when the road isn't exactly perpendicular, or if there was an error made by the driver.

-Matt-

Old 10-07-2005, 03:17 PM
srtommy
Veteran

Say you turn the corner...the distance between the cab of the truck and the corner of the fifth wheel trailer get closer together. If you don't have an extender or slider for the mount, the corner of the fifth wheel will push or cave into the back of the trucks cab. The other problem is weight distribution. If you have too much weight bearing down to the rear of the truck and it is behind the rear axle, the front end will lift a little and possibly make it harder to turn. Kind of like understeer. You are on a wet road and you don't have enough weight bearing down on the front tires when making a turn on the highway...there might be a problem when you acutally make that turn. Another situation can come if the truck is travelling down a road that isn't really smooth and it makes the truck bounce up and down more than normal. I've seen video of the front wheels actually lifting off the road while going 55 MPH. I know that there is new technology for fifth wheel applications, but not everyone knows and not everyone is informed about it. As far as I am concerned the long box is always the best way to go when pulling a fifth wheel...bar none.

ORIGINAL: MoparMax

srtommy, what big turn are you speaking of?

Quick Reply: Mega Cab Info Wanted