Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)
View Poll Results: Is it a good move for Dodge to put the Dart GT engine in more trimlines?
Yes, more power is always good.
50.00%
No, buyers need choices.
50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week Is it a good move for Dodge to put the 2.4L mill in more models?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:54 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question of the Week Is it a good move for Dodge to put the 2.4L mill in more models?

Dodge has announced that the 2.4L engine from the 2013 Dart GT is now standard in the GT, SXT and Limited models.

Do you think that is a good idea? Will it improve Dart sales?

Click here to look at the pros and cons on the DF front page.

Make sure to vote above and tell us whether or not you like this move below!

Attached Thumbnails Question of the Week Is it a good move for Dodge to put the 2.4L mill in more models?-dart-cobblestone.jpg  
Old 09-16-2013, 11:02 PM
scatpack_69
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep.

GT still as it's own tuning, so it is expected to get less mileage than the other models with the 2.4. I'm guessing GT has a different power curve, maybe "feels" peppier behind the wheel.

I'd still like to see the GT with a ~250hp turbo 2.4...

Old 10-02-2013, 06:13 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends. If the version of the 2.4L Tigershark has the same gearing and output as used in the GT, it is a bad move as it could undercut the sales of the GT while not addressing the problem of the poor fuel economy for its class. If they offer an "Atkins setting on the VVT" for the 2.4L Tigershark for the SXT trim and possibly the Limited and use taller gearing for the transmissions, this will offer the best of both worlds. Better fuel economy and better power than the 2.0L while not cutting into the purpose of the GT. The problem that I see with having 2.4L as it is, it begs 3 questions in my mind. Why get this when I can get an Avenger which is about the same size, has a much more powerful engine with almost the same fuel economy? or Why not get a Charger 8speed which has more room, more power, and better fuel economy? If the 3.6L Pentastar can get almost the same fuel economy in the Avenger why not just offer the 3.2L Pentastar which could probably match the 2.4L?

In general, I can't understand why these I4s are so awful on gas. They have a 6-speed automatic yet, they are still getting 2-3 mpg lower than the optional manual? Also, why are they getting 2-4 mpg lower than their competition in the Dart? Also, why did the addition of the 62TE to the Avenger/200 only boost the highway fuel economy by 1mpg?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question of the Week Is it a good move for Dodge to put the 2.4L mill in more models?