Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

10 Cars You’d Be Foolish to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:14 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 10 Cars You’d Be Foolish to Buy

Least reliable: Fiat 500L

Base MSRP price range: $19,295 - $24,595
Fiat-Chrysler sits at the bottom of the pack, with four of its brands—Dodge, Ram, Jeep, and Fiat—sweeping our least-reliable rankings. The Fiat 500L is currently the least reliable new car, with a predicted reliability score that is 219 percent worse than average. Looked at another way, the 500L has about 16 times the problem rate of the most reliable car, the long-in-the tooth but ironclad Scion xB. (The smaller Fiat 500 is better, but it still scores poor for reliability.) In case you’re still tempted by this unique Italian hatchback, a 50-point overall road test score should further discourage you from adding this model to your shopping list.

Lowest owner satisfaction: Jeep Compass

Base MSRP price range: $18,995 - $28,495
Despite a recent freshening, the Jeep Compass remains outdated and uncompetitive. But don’t just take our word for it: Owners have given the Compass the lowest satisfaction rating of all current cars, with just 43 percent stating that they would get this same car if they had to do it all over again. The satisfaction details show the areas that disappointed most are comfort and fuel economy, followed by drive experience, features, and cargo space. (Key lesson here: Most of those elements could be readily evaluated on a test drive.) The fuel economy is understandable, as that is likely a key draw for an affordable four-cylinder SUV and the real-world performance is far from stellar. In our tests, the Compass returned 22 mpg overall, putting it at the thirsty end for its class, while also being among the slowest small SUVs with a 0-60 mph crawl at 10.3 seconds. Not a satisfying combination. To top it off, Compass reliability has dropped to well below average.

Lowest-scoring SUV: Jeep Compass

52 overall score

Base MSRP price range: $18,995 - $28,495
Lows: Engine noise, acceleration, driving position, front-seat comfort, rear visibility, cornering limits, braking, reliability.
Despite the front face mimicking the look of the impressive Grand Cherokee, the Compass is a mediocre car. The engine is noisy and lacks punch. Handling is unimpressive, the seats are second-rate, and the driving position is flawed. The cabin feels claustrophobic, visibility is problematic, and access is hampered by a tall sill. On the credit side, road noise is low, the ride is absorbent, and controls are simple and straightforward. However, at 52 points out of 100 in our battery of tests, the Compass scores too low to be recommended. (Technically, the lowest SUV score belongs to the Jeep Wrangler at a mere 20 points. But given that most potential buyers would be drawn to the off-road ability or nostalgia factor, we realize it has some redeeming factors. So we awarded the dubious distinction to the lowest-scoring conventional crossover or SUV.)

Worst value small SUV: Jeep Cherokee

Base MSRP price range: $22,995 - $30,795
This small SUV could be a contender, but the Dodge Dart-based Cherokee is too underdeveloped and unrefined. If you have your heart set on one, get the 3.2-liter V6 in Limited trim. It has a much higher overall road test score, and it is all around more pleasant. However, it ranks at the bottom of the class for value. The bottom four small SUVs are (in descending order) the Jeep Patriot, Cherokee V6, Compass, and Cherokee 4-cyl. Feels like a pattern. The Cherokee four-cylinder is slow and gets lousy fuel economy for the class. Factor in a lowly 58-point test score and much-worse-than-average predicted reliability, and the value tale is a sad one. At least owner costs are better than average, but that can’t make up for the shortcomings. Owners agree, giving the Cherokee a below-average satisfaction score.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:17 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Thats only 4, but thanks.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:29 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile 1 Fiat and 3 Jeep brands

There were 6 other brands listed. Only the one's I posted, I found the read interesting.

But no Dodge Brands. And that's a good thing.

SF

Old 04-05-2015, 08:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

40% made by the company that owns Dodge is really not that great.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:23 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't like those cars either. I would have to agree with them. Add Dart to that list.

The most troublesome on that list from experiences was the epic fail with the launch of the Cherokee and the trans issues.

We just don't see many major issues out of the Compass / Patriot.

The first Renegade I touched had an inoperative power seat and no scan tool software update out to even communicate with the dam thing ! All the while people clamoring to see the first one off the truck were likely thinking "WTF MAAAN !!??"

Fiat needs to JUNK the Fiat technology and stay the course with the Chrysler technology.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:25 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also gotta remember, A LOT of vehicles get poor reliability issues from faulty nav systems, touchscreens, and the like.
My Opinion, that stuff has nothing to do with it being reliable. Maybe doesn't make a happy customer, but it doesn't mean it leaves you sit somewhere.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by smokesxt
Also gotta remember, A LOT of vehicles get poor reliability issues from faulty nav systems, touchscreens, and the like.
My Opinion, that stuff has nothing to do with it being reliable. Maybe doesn't make a happy customer, but it doesn't mean it leaves you sit somewhere.
This is very true. Another forum I'm on, people will complain that their phone wont pair with their BT factory system and the car and the car manufacturer sucks because of it....lol

Old 04-10-2015, 02:46 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
This is very true. Another forum I'm on, people will complain that their phone wont pair with their BT factory system and the car and the car manufacturer sucks because of it....lol

Oh we hear it in person too lol

We waste so much time with phone pairing issues, it's ridiculous.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:00 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Most of my vehicles have recieved bad reviews from auto journalists. I guess I should thank them for saving me money.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:17 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaded
Most of my vehicles have recieved bad reviews from auto journalists. I guess I should thank them for saving me money.

Quick Reply: 10 Cars You’d Be Foolish to Buy