Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

SRT to Expand to Charger, 300 Series Article:

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 09:01 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT to Expand to Charger, 300 Series Article:

An intresting article...

SRT to Expand to Charger, 300 Series
By Kevin Kelly
WardsAuto.com, Jul 14 2004

Plans for the expansion of Chrysler’s LX rear-wheel-drive family of vehicles includes an SRT-8 performance package for the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, as well as an all-new 6.1L Hemi V-8.

Performance-car fans should get ready for a series of sport-bred vehicles based on the newly introduced Chrysler Group LX rear-wheel-drive platform. The performance derivatives are set to debut in first-quarter 2005.

Sources within the auto maker tell Ward’s Chrysler will introduce a 300C SRT-8 early in 2005, with a Dodge Charger SRT-8 following in September.

Both vehicles will be powered by the all-new 6.1L version of Chrysler’s highly acclaimed Hemi V-8 engine.

Sources claim the new powerplant will produce 420 hp and 390 lb.-ft. (528 Nm) of torque, a significant 24% horsepower boost from the 340 hp rating of the current 5.7L Hemi.

Sources also indicate the 6.1L Hemi will not feature Chrysler’s much-touted multi-displacement cylinder-deactivation system. The higher-output 6.1L Hemi will be reserved only for performance applications, where fuel economy routinely is not a top priority.

“We’ll keep the 5.7L for mass production applications, but the 6.1L will be reserved for limited high-performance vehicle production,” a Chrysler insider says.

The Charger SRT-8 will feature a 6-speed manual transmission as standard equipment, boosting the vehicle’s performance potential.

Pilot production of standard Chargers already has begun in preparation for the return of the Charger moniker to Dodge showrooms shortly before the SRT package launches.

The source also indicates the auto maker is toying with the idea of launching a 2-door version of the Charger, as well as a 4-seat convertible, based loosely off the Chrysler Hemi C concept vehicle that debuted at the 2000 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

“I’ve seen some mock-ups, but I’m not sure if it’s been given the green light,” the source says.

Separately, the auto maker confirms it has begun production of all-wheel-drive variants of the 300 Series and Dodge Magnum passenger cars in Brampton, Ont., Canada. The AWD models will go on sale this fall.

Dodge will debut AWD versions of its Magnum SXT and RT wagon a few months before the system is available on the Chrysler 300 Limited, Touring and 300C in the fourth quarter.

The ’05 Magnum SXT AWD will base at $27,900, and the Hemi-powered RT AWD at $31,370.

Base price of the ’05 Chrysler 300 Touring AWD will be $29,370 with the 300 Touring AWD starting at $31,215. The Hemi-powered 300C AWD will base at $34,195.

http://www.wardsauto.com

redriderbob

Old 07-15-2004, 10:34 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: SRT to Expand to Charger, 300 Series Article:

Can't wait to see the look on GM and Ford board member's faces!!!!![sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 07-16-2004, 01:55 AM
redriderbob
Banned

I am just getting sick and tired of the wait for the Charger, been waiting since 1998 when I heard they were building a concept Charger... hopefully the production model wont disapoint!

redriderbob

Old 07-16-2004, 02:08 AM
Racer Rob
Veteran

I can't wait to see the Charger. Maybe in 10 years I can get a 2005 charger lol.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:57 PM
redriderbob
Banned

Thats how I plan on getting mine Racer Bob... lol.

redriderbob

Old 07-17-2004, 03:22 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Not to ask a stupid question, but if you put a srt badge on one of every model you make isn't that going to dilute the image factor a bit?

I mean its like the hemi is going to be in every car we sell pretty soon. I just think its a bit overkill. Whats next a srt stratus? How about a sebring?

Just my .02 again.

Joe

Old 07-18-2004, 05:03 AM
HEMI TT
All Star

it's a package, SRT means business, you'll have the different models, and you'll have one bad A$$ model. I personly like the idea of have a SRT of everthing, not everybody like a particular car but like the whole performance perspective, so that's a great idea, lets have a SRT everything.

Old 07-19-2004, 03:25 AM
Hemi Crazy

Whats up with the torque numbers? I thought it was a stroked version of the current 5.7L Hemi? Shouldnt it have higher torque numbers...? Sorry for all the questions but why was this code name 440, or is that the 6.1L going into the trucks?

Old 07-19-2004, 06:06 PM
midnightmagnum

but isn't that what mercedes is doing with amg and audi is doing with the s line jaguar with the r type chevy with their plans for an all ss range and even though ford has svt on hold for 16 mos they manage to have st focus .performance is now a big part of marketing from every aspect of the car/truck market.

it's about time

Old 07-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Traction Issuez

If a dealership can promise me a 6.1L black 2 door charger I'll be first in line to lay down a deposit. September 2005 here I come. Warranty or not, I will have the first twin turbo charger built and running before that halloween.
issuez

Quick Reply: SRT to Expand to Charger, 300 Series Article: