DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Brand News, Concepts & Rumors (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/brand-news-concepts-and-rumors-29/)
-   -   Dodge To Debut A Roadster At Geneva: (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/brand-news-concepts-and-rumors/91744-dodge-to-debut-a-roadster-at-geneva.html)

redriderbob 01-31-2007 08:59 PM

Dodge To Debut A Roadster At Geneva:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.au...razor_2002.jpg

Apparently Dodge hasn't completely given up on the the idea of a smaller cheaper sports car than the Viper. After showing a number of concepts over the last decade including the Copperhead, Slingshot and the Razor (shown above), Dodge may be showing off another new two seater at the upcoming Geneva Auto Show. According to the UK-based website Autocar, Chrysler will unveil a Dodge-branded MX-5 clone with styling based on that of the 2002 Razor Concept. Unless Dodge were to build it based on the underpinnings of an existing vehicle like the Crossfire (itself based on the first generation Mercedes SLK) it probably wouldn't be economically viable. The Crossfire platform is probably too expensive for a car like this, and so it seems improbable that such a vehicel would ever come to market, although it sure would be fun to have another option.

[Source: Autocar]

redriderbob

Johndcjr1989 01-31-2007 09:19 PM

RE: Dodge To Debut A Roadster At Geneva:

dont like it. i think it takes too many styling cues from other vehicles and it doesnt really fit the dodge image in my opinion. a roadster would be a good idea if they could make it look like nothing else out there and make look more american. but a roadster that would compete with other roadsters out there would be close to the same performance level asa viper (wouldnt it?) and that would eat some sales away from the viper.

CarGuyOhio 01-31-2007 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Johndcjr1989

i think it takes too many styling cues from other vehicles and it doesnt really fit the dodge image in my opinion.
Actaully I think the roof line does, sort of reminds me a little of a 300.

I do agree though, dislike the small roadster look. The BMW, The Pontiac and the S2000, I could do without them all. But I guess there is a market for it and Dodge is not in it, so it would appeal to someone, just not me.

Dodge does have a cheaper 2 door sports car on the horizon, called the Challenger and I can not wait to see them dump the 500HP 6.4 Hemi in it! Come on Dodge I need a new daily driver! :D Yes, not a roadster but it could be in year 2 or 3......

97 3.5 Intrepid 01-31-2007 10:46 PM

I don't think it will threaten the Viper's sales because the performance will be different. The Crossfire's lackluster sales possibly but not the Viper's. The handling might be similar but it will not have similar acceleration. It will probably be just like the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice, the only model I think it could potientially threaten would be the Sebring if they offer a convertible model, but even that I have doubts about.

The styling is okay. It might be one of those models that looks better as a convertible. It will most likely offer a I4 line-up to compete against the Solstice, Sky, S2000, and MX-5. They should use a shortened Caliber/Sebring/Stratus platform to keep costs down. They could adapt it for RWD application since this platform is has AWD abilities.

The Crossfire platform would be a mistake. It is too expensive to use and the Mercedes platform hasn't exactlyproven to be the best strategy. Mercedes would probably throw a fit about it if they did about it eating awayat their sales.

BadStratRT 01-31-2007 11:06 PM

i would have bought a razor in a SECOND.

do you suppose that this car will be something like this:

[IMG]local://upfiles/2745/B47B14102F0943D19A3A2CA320648A17.jpg[/IMG]

97 3.5 Intrepid 02-01-2007 12:11 AM

I guess. My memory seems to be giving me trouble, what is that? It looks familiar.

I initially liked the Razor concept, but didn’t it have a back seat? I don’t want a roadster, not since I have ridden in my aunt’s SL500 for three hours straight. Not a pleasant experience. I have ridden in Z3s and Miata’s as well, and they’re even worse. No shoulder room. I like my room, that is why I want a Challenger.

BadStratRT 02-01-2007 04:12 AM

i cant recall what it is...i had it in one of my files.

i also could not see us getting a roadster either, unless it was going to be like our fifth vehicle...the mirada may as well be a roadster, thereis no back seat....as well as her truck, which only has two seats.

Midnight SRT 02-02-2007 05:11 AM

The Razor looks like Porsche and a 350Z had monkey sex.

Dartman69 02-03-2007 12:04 AM

Ouch! Why would Dodge want to produce a clone MX-5?
The Miata is notorious for being the transportation of choice for dental hygienists and highschool art teachers...doesn't exactly scream "grab life by the horns", does it?

I would rather see a Challenger convertible appearin the near future than a faux-Miata. Let's leave the cutesy-cars to Smart.

71RoadRunner 02-03-2007 01:05 AM

The second car pictured, the silver one in question as to it's name, is the Dodge Sling Shot concept which only looks good from one or two view points and uses a 3 cylinder.