Caliber SRT-4 This compact crossover combines high performance with the interior room of a small SUV.

The truth... Caliber SRT 4 ...

Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The truth... Caliber SRT 4 ...

Im considering a base caliber 2.4 with a 5sp man. Now Im thinking why not go for the full meal deal, a SRT4. Problem is I hate FWD for performance, I'm glad to find I fit in A caliber, ticked pink that thiers 6 forward gears in the CaliberSRT4.

My Ram is not practical for city use, Caliber will be a go work car, SRT4 could be my replacement charger and the base caliber will save flue my Ram doesnt share well with othiers.

I'm not keen on owing a turbo, but I also Know I'm not going become a over eager 45 year old with a mid life issues taken out my car.

All I know is I don't want red, I have not driven a Caliber, and I know nothing truthful abought the SRT4.

How well are thease cars built? I totaly understand maintance is a must and Iam up to speed on what options were out thier in the short SRT run.

For a low mileage fully optioned unit, what are the typical price points? Local auto trader in Calgary has a lot of SRT4, and thiers a lot of them on used car lots.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:38 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have never driven an SRT-4. I wanted the wife to get one but all I could talk her into was an SXT with the Musicgate stero system that she rarely even turns on. Ours is a 2.0 with the CVT2 auto trans. It drives pretty good. There is some road noise but it's not overbearing. It handles quite well. She drives it in stop and go traffic about 7 miles to work. She gets about 20mpg. When I drive it to work on my 72+ round trip to work, I average about 32mpg. In the winter let it warm up and such, I get 29mpg.
I have read in a magazine that the SRT-4 that was rated at 285hp, I think, was actually about 305hp at the crank. Quite impressive. They handle even better and under normal driving should get fairly good mpg. When I pay off my Ram, I may look into a SRT-4 to drive my long journey to work every day.
I am also impressed with the leg room the driver has. I am 6'2" 220 and fit very easy. Especially with the seat lowered down (the wife drives with it jacked all the way up) with room to spare.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:02 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

I'm 6 ft 4 and arround 240, I was verry surprised to find comfort in a caliber, I can't get into a Avenger. I relly want a charger how ever $$$ is not what it used to be and a little run a bought with a 6sp and 285 hp is verry apealing, to bad AWD with the turbo, or even with the 2.4 man was never a option.

The more I reed up on the car, it apears to be part hyundia, part mitsabeshe, a lot of heniz 57 with the engine design and turbo, I will drive one.

I'm not a keen FWD guy due to torque stear.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The "World Engine" was designed by all three together. They were then outfitted different for each company.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 AM
CaptObvious75
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven a CSRT4 a few times... and my thoughts were (unbiased):

1. Powerful! the 2.4L is useless from a stop (torquesteer is dangerous almost!)... but pass some people on the highway and it's effortless. This can be a drag monster if you have some super wide front tires (seen it done... some stupid good numbers!)

2. Crap interior! Full of cheap, grey plastics. The only good part of the interior is the seats... god bless those seats! Super supportive and comfy.

3. Hatch! Utility is a strong point

4. Big brakes! Winter tires will be expensive... i think 19's are stock on this car right? Stock tires will be expensive given the rediculous power the car puts down, and the tires needing to be darn good to keep up with the power.

5. Rare! People can say what they want about the CSRT4, but its rare. When you see one, you know what it is.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

A month ago I bought a new 2011 Elantra touring gls sport with a 5 speed, not any where as quick as a srt4 calibur, and not a lot of sporty driving, basic car with perks to go to and from work.

2lt 4 cylinder pretty much identical to a base calibur

Old 09-17-2011, 01:50 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yep, I think the head design may be a little different.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 PM
HemiRam1566
Veteran

my girl friend HAD a caliber... bought brand new 2008 it was the sxt nice 18 chrome rims it was orange with matching interior.. very nice looking car.. i am 6ft2 275 and i fit in it fine...built quality is JUNK 20000kms in she had the tranny replaced... 50000kms tranny was gone again it still drove but would grind when coming to a stop and when leaving from a stop... the cvt with the 2.0 is a complete dog no guts off the line.. her sunroof leaked... when it came out of basic warrenty so around 60,000kms she needed a ball joint and controll arm bushing... before that it was in dealer for upper strut mounts, links ext.. POS car... almost every caliber that came into my shop needed suspension work and they were all under 90000kms...wasnt happy with that...so im sure the manual cars are fine but i cant see the suspension being any better.. even in the srt.. i personally would buy another in a heart beat if it was a srt4 thos things are quick! i have driven a few with the manual trans and they are no slouch thats for sure.

Last edited by HemiRam1566; 09-22-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:07 PM
srt4life..

hey i bought a csrt4 nd im 6ft3 nd it was alright
=alot of power but its not the best inside i guess quality wise, the xheap plastic inside is just brutual, everything peels off so fast, nd yes the winter tires will def b exspensive nd will def need them, i almost died a few times not using winters lol but i ended up selling it for a neon srt4, love it much more lol!
srry hope this kinda helps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The truth... Caliber SRT 4 ...