Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere Not from the states? Everywhere else post here.

OPP tagged my wife for Stunt Driving

Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 AM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OPP tagged my wife for Stunt Driving

So if you live in Ontario you know all about the 50km per hour law. Well my wife who I call "The Queen of the 50 Over Club" got busted for 135km per hour in an 80km per hour zone. That is what she was CONVICTED of. I won't even tell you what she was CHARGED with. We both know and the first thing I said was ".. Do you have any idea how dangerous that was!!??"

She knows how bad it was after getting the car towed, paying a boat load of money to get it out of impound, lawyer, fines, etc. And especIally now with paying $800 a month for all of our insurance (a car (infiniti G35) my 05 Ram, house, and a motorcycle).

To late to make a long story short so here's my question. Does anyone have any recommendatons on insurances companies with better rates for people with a 50 over conviction and / or ideas on how to reduce our cost? We had state far and already moved to All State. Since State Farm wanted 1200 a month.

Like you probably are I am STUPIFIED on paying close to $10k a year for insurance. I can't even begin to tell you how bad this is for us.

I want to yell and scream at her but she knows as well what she did was incredibly stupid. So that will get me nowhere. All I can say is "...for better or worse.."

Thanks for reading.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 PM
rhyster
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that's harsh. Insurance companies really gouge people in your wife's predicament. I believe they have access to all provincial dept. motor vehicle records so there will be no getting around higher premiums.

I’m not sure but I believe that they have access DMV to all the provinces as well, I’m not sure about the states though, but these are grey areas/avenues.

All that I can think to do is to segregate your wife's insurance. Keep yours the house motorcycle on the group rate. If that's possible, Then search elsewhere for the best rate she can get for liability and forget comprehensive.
If the car for some reason must have comprehensive, you might want to give it up, buy a beater and drive it for a couple of years till her points go away, and she can get a better rate.

good luck

regards
Rhys

Old 02-07-2013, 10:28 AM
eisej
Rookie

That is exactly what we've done is separate our car as far as who is primary. We'll keep searching but thanks for the info. Her main vehicle is an 06 Infiniti G35 (part of the problem) and I thought best to keep comprehensive on it. Nothing against my wife's driving skils ( wink wink)

I'm actually from New York and I've gotten a ticket for doing 80MPH in a 50MPH zone which translates to about 50KPH over. I had to get a lawyer and got no points, paid a $200 fine and went to driver's school for one night.

I can understand the enforcement of excessive speeding and the province is right but I don't think the punishment fits the crime personally. At a minimum they should allow a way to reduce the points and clean up your record such as school. Hell even some community service or something beneficial to the communities. All this does is give money to the insurance companies. Or does the canadian gov't get a piece of our insurance premiums?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM
rhyster
Amateur

Originally Posted by eisej
"All this does is give money to the insurance companies. Or does the canadian gov't get a piece of our insurance premiums?"
well your wife got a raw deal, I to think a “stunt driving” charge is excessive, unless she was weaving and bobbing in and out of traffic or trying to elude the police, lets not forget too, that 135 kilometers [sounds like its fast] is only about 84 miles an hour, the ticketing officer should have some discretion when issuing that charge. Also you should fight every ticket tooth and nail with a lawyer at your side, there are always circumstances, and some judges can be sympathetic, and possibly reduce the charge.

The stunt driving laws I believe were implemented to address the street drag racing problems here in Ontario, and also many police cars cant catch speeders, simply because they cant keep up to some of the sportier new cars. Indeed its a cash grab for the provincial /municipal coffers, they get their money up front, as for the insurance companies, well they are just......

I’ll leave it at that.

regards.

Last edited by rhyster; 02-07-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Basolisk

I use to live on Toronto and ya, the Ontario insurance system is a rip off.

...As for the law I don't think it is harsh enough! If your caught doing 50kph+ over the limit I think you should lose your licence for a min of 5 years and have you car crushed. At those speeds your putting other peoples life at risk. I think you wife got off easy.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 AM
rhyster
Amateur

Originally Posted by Basolisk
I use to live on Toronto and ya, the Ontario insurance system is a rip off.

...As for the law I don't think it is harsh enough! If your caught doing 50kph+ over the limit I think you should lose your licence for a min of 5 years and have you car crushed. At those speeds your putting other peoples life at risk. I think you wife got off easy.
You must be in the car wrecking buisness.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 AM
eisej
Rookie

Basolisk I'm not disagreeing with you that what she did was dangerous and idiotic. And again, as I already said, she did endanger other people. I just don't think it should be 1 STRIKE and you're out. Everyone makes mistakes and even with what she did at least give her the opportunity to repent and make up for it somehow is all I'm saying. Don't punish her with $800 per month insurance premiums for 6 years (or whatever the length of time it stays on your record). You make it sound like she is a bad person and she isn't. She made a mistake. She shouldn't have to pay for it by paying close to $10k a year for insurance when we only make TOTAL $56k per year. That is slightly outrageous. Maybe that's an different type of answer. Maybe the penalty should be based on your income. For people that make $200k a year what do they care? For people who make as much as we do OR LESS how is that fair?

I'd also agree with you if it was possible for her to take public transportation. Unfortunately we live in Port Perry and she works in Markham. I've looked. It's close to impossible for her to catch a bus and make it to work in time. I think she would have to get up at 4am and she might make the connections.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though. That's what these message boards are for.

Last edited by eisej; 02-21-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OPP tagged my wife for Stunt Driving