Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere Not from the states? Everywhere else post here.

HIDs in Alberta

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HIDs in Alberta

Sending to: Trans.Contact.Us.m@gov.ab.ca

Would like your feedback....

------8<----------
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:01 AM
Cc: Subject: HID Headlights

Hello

I'm writing you as a concerned driver, a technical geek, and a frustrated participant in the morning commute to work.

As I am certain you are aware, HID headlights are quickly becoming the defacto standard when drivers are looking for improved lighting capability on the highway. Their light output is far superior to halogens, and the control over colour also helps reduce fatigue while driving. I too am in the process of purchasing a set for my own truck. Unfortunately, it seems many drivers are changing their headlights out for HIDs without considering the negative effect it is having on fellow drivers on the road.

HID Headlights in many areas of the United States must be installed in projector style housing for low beam use, and can be installed in a reflector housing for high beam. This is to help control the 'scatter effect' that causes HIDs to create an uncomfortable glare, increasing fatigue for other drivers. Laws in those areas are effective in reducing misinformation about proper installation techniques, holding installers accountable for proper installation, as well as holding owners accountable for ensuring their vehicle meets reasonable lighting requirements. In all, they create a safer driving environment for all drivers, HID owners and others.

Please advise how I can best drive change to help make our roads safer.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:50 AM
C-RAM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get any response at all?

Don't worry too much, most of the time only one HID light works anyways LOL!

Old 01-21-2012, 01:49 AM
Cthulhu
Captain

I did get a response from them, but the sad part is, the laws exist, but the cops don't enforce them without complaints.

What came of this is if enclosures are not CSA certified, they are illegal. If the bulbs are not CSA certified they are illegal. Likely most projectors are not CSA, so they are illegal. HID Bulbs are often CSA certified, but used in the 'wrong enclosures' which are not defined in Canadian highway traffic laws. Whats funny is I'm in the process of buying a set of enclosures, and HID bulbs from a guy on another forum. The enclosures are CSA certified, but have additional components, which if inspected, will render the certification void. The performance of light control using the projectors mounted in the enclosures is very good and will pass any test of light pollution they currently have. I am ordering a high quality Panasonic ballast and lighting system so it will also be CSA/UL certified. I'm hoping to fit the standards as they grow, and to not be a liability on the road.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 AM
89newbie
Captain

What I understand is if the lights are installed aftermarket there are some shortcuts being taken in the installation which results in electrical situations in some cases. While HID creates brighter lights for the vehicle it also creates a situation for oncoming traffic the way some of them are aimed. We moved from an area where it must have been pure redneck, pratically all vehicles with fog/driving lights were being upgraded which created a real problem for oncoming traffic. HID drivers also need to be educated on the problem a driver with regular lights have whena HID equipped vehicle is in front of them on a back country road. Back in the day when Fog/driving lamps were first becoming popular one state, Pa. passed a law those additional lights could only be used if driving under 25MPH because of the shadow situation. Most all states mandated these lights be wired so they only function with low beams, because of the shadow situation. HID's are so bright they duplicate the shadow for any vehicle in front of them that is not HID equipped thus creating a dangerous situation for the vehicle in front of them. Dont get me wrong I am in favor of HID but drivers need to be responsible for their actions and these lights can cause a real problem for others if care is not taken in their use.

Last edited by 89newbie; 01-21-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Sask FlatLanderJay
Amateur
Default Hid

Hey guys,some of them arent to bad,some are almost like looking in an arc welder's flash.They do improve vision but can be hard and almost bright enough to cause an accident .Im a hot shot driver and some meat heads are driving with enough lights to lite up half of alberta on their front grill,guess there is no more respect for other driver now a days

Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

Ya.. its 'meat heads' like that which make aux lighting targeted. I have a driving light array on the front of my truck (2x lightforce and 2x KC LED) and I make damned sure they are off before I can see buddy's lightsorce... ie, if I can see what he's lighting, like the trees around a corner, they go off.. I don't want to blind an operator heading towards me... lol. Truckers have taught me (through experience) what the appropriate time to dim them is..

Old 01-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

I just did a search, and found this... this was there response.

Alberta's Vehicle Equipment Regulation already contains standards for HID lamps regulating the aftermarket modifications of improper HID lamps. Owners who make modifications to their vehicles are required to comply with the aiming requirements and cannot use parts which are not intended for on-highway use. Our equipment standards prevent the mixing of HID bulbs with halogen assemblies and prohibits the use of uncertified HID bulbs.

HID bulbs marked as complying with SAE HG are the only permissible HID bulbs. These bulb are only permitted in headlamp assemblies which are designed for HID lamps. Original equipment may not be marked with these codes but is still required to comply with the standards. Technicians can verify original equipment with the manufacturer of a vehicle; so if a person swaps the bulbs on their headlamps to HID bulbs it can still be determined those are improperly installed on the vehicle.

We are working actively with our on-highway enforcement partners, sharing our information and technical expertise, to ensure improper HID lamps are removed from use on Alberta's highways. We take our responsibility to educate law enforcement seriously and are working with them in addressing this issue.

In addition, Alberta’s out-of-province inspection program has developed standards which are used to ensure vehicles brought into Alberta are not registered here with improper HID lamps. A headlamp aiming test is done as part of every out-of-province inspection; the glare you refer to on improper installation of HID bulbs causes a failure in the aiming test since too much light is emitted outside of the acceptable areas. Also, technicians check for proper maintenance of vehicle's systems; for headlamps they are checking to ensure the components installed are within manufacturer's specification. An HID bulb is not supposed to be in a non-HID housing and will fail an inspection.

However, Alberta cannot prohibit the use of all HID lamps. Proper HID lamps comply with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and with the SAE standards for all headlamps. Transport Canada controls the construction of new vehicles and any complaints or questions in regards to HID lamps being on new vehicles should be directed to Transport Canada by email at roadsafetywebmail@tc.gc.ca or by phone at 1-800-333-0371.

Resultantly we are continuing to work with the federal and other provincial governments to ensure the safety of all highway users.

If you have any further questions please contact me.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 AM
89newbie
Captain

It is comforting to read this because it shows that someone is looking at the severe lack of light the non HID's give in bad weather conditions. Possibly (?) some of the states will take a look at their lighting regulations and improve permissability to upgrades that will make vehicke safety better based on updated lighting. There are better lights out there now that are not HID, but they do not have the DOT stamped seal of approval therefore they fail most state inspections. Just yesterday in oncoming traffic an older Ram with blue lights, both in the headlights and the fog lights, was coming toward us and the sun was at our backs. The blue lights were too bright even in daylight the way he had them aimed. Things like this is what cause the rest of us problems.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

Just a note, 89Newbie... the emails/discussion in this thread is targeted around Albertan laws, specifically in Canada. I personally think the US is light years ahead of Canada in managing hazards I am discussing in this thread, but like anything else, there is always room for improvement.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:45 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Just a note, 89Newbie... the emails/discussion in this thread is targeted around Albertan laws, specifically in Canada. I personally think the US is light years ahead of Canada in managing hazards I am discussing in this thread, but like anything else, there is always room for improvement.
Thanks for that comment. No Law, Canadian or U.S. will never eliminate misuse of lights.

Quick Reply: HIDs in Alberta