Central MT, WY, CO, ND, SD, NE, KS

Pickup totaled & van hit while innocently parked

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 04:02 PM
Coconutpalace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pickup totaled & van hit while innocently parked

This happened the end of September. (Montana). A guy in a 2021 Nissan Titan ran the stop sign, hit a car in the intersection, THEN hit our parked 1987 D150, that rear ended our Dodge Maxivan RV. He did have insurance, but the pickup is totaled and the van is still at the body shop. The moped is toast, too. Why, why, why?

The pickup had new engine, transmission, upholstery, etc. We’re still “discussing” value with the insurance company. The van had some damage to the frame and needs new rear doors. The water system, propane & generator were ok.

Anyone ever have a double tragedy with their Dodges?

just looking for sympathy, I guess.

Hit while parked. 1987 D150 & 1999 B350 RV.

The pickup was totaled and the van is still in the shop. Moped was a goner, too.

Old 12-04-2023, 04:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

While the Ram does look rather wrinkled, it is probably repairable.. His insurance may cover the repair, depending on the laws where you live. If you have to pay for it out of pocket though, I would expect replacement would be cheaper..... Moped is most certainly toast.

Whatta mess. Sorry man.

Old 12-05-2023, 06:32 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

This is why i never park on the street, Unfortunately i have seen this sort of thing to often. The insurance co will always "total" it because it is worth next to noting according to blue book value. I also think that can be fixed.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:20 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Bummer. The pickup may be damaged worse than you think. It looks like the rear axle is pushed forward. This is frame damage area as well as the transmission may seem good, but might not last long. I'll bet the drive shaft got rammed into the tail shaft. Add in the body damage to the front, as much as I save and rebuild old stuff, you have a parts truck now. There may be damage to the engine but that might be salvageable since it wasn't running when hit.

Sometimes things just happen. Parking OFF the street doesn't mean you're safe either.

This kid had JUST had his oil changed at a friends shop about a block away. He was putting the receipt in his glove box while driving (bad idea) and lost control. Had he been 3 feet to the left, he would have missed the pole and gone through to either hit the tree or my Mazda. 6 feet and he would have nailed my Ram.

In your place, I would buy the D150 back from the insurance company and look for another truck in decent shape. Was that tool box bolted down or just sitting in the bed?

Old 12-06-2023, 04:20 PM
Coconutpalace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were having siding being done on our house, and let the crew have our parking spaces.

The toolbox was bolted on. Here’s a few more pictures. We decided not to buy back the truck.

Last edited by Coconutpalace; 12-06-2023 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 12-06-2023, 10:44 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Up close it looks worse No matter how much you do to it, that truck will never be right again. Hopefully you'll get a good price for it.

Quick Reply: Pickup totaled & van hit while innocently parked