Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

73-74 Charger bumper gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 02:42 AM
bdering
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73-74 Charger bumper gasket

Hi All,

I have looked around (Steele, Year One, etc...) and not been able to find a replacement for this part. On the original '73 and '74 Chargers there was a bumper moulding. It was originally grey metallic neoprene. Most, by now, have hardened, cracked and/or turned brown. I have seen a few on Chargers in pictures that look new, just black instead of grey...however, I have not been able to find a source for the replacements. Even the folks who I have seen post the pictures with the mouldings will not respond with a source. Does anyone know where I can get repro of these gaskets?

Thanks,

Old 04-27-2006, 09:20 AM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker
Default RE: 73-74 Charger bumper gasket

To my knowledge, those aren't being reroduced. If you look closely at the ones that look good from a distance, they will usually show signs of age (cracking, dryness, etc..) or they maty be painted over. Best bet is to find a half-way decent used set, but that could prove difficult as well.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:09 AM
bdering
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I would swear that I had seen it somewhere a long time ago that these were being reproduced in Canada or something like that. Unfortunately, I never did get a company name. The set I have is intact, barely. But, they are hard and brown from time. I guess like you said, they are painted or just left off completely.

Thanks again,

Old 06-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Traveller

If you leave them off it doesn't look too good. There is a huge gap to fill. On my 74 I modified the bumper supports on the front and rear to raise and bring in the bumper closer to the body. I also lost the huge ugly bumperettes. The car is probably close to two feet shorter now. It looks much better, but don't be playing bumper tag with anyone.

Traveller

Old 07-15-2006, 02:20 AM
bdering
Rookie

Hi Traveller,

I got the replacement bumpers on the car. One on the front was a warranty (lifetime-gotta love that) and I bought a rechrome for the rear (took the core to Carlisle with me). I went through all the molding that I had and selected the best pieces. Cleaned them all with laquer thinner and painted them with vinyl paint. Even though they do not really flex much, I thought it was better to use a flexing paint.

I am leaving off the bumperettes (since I am fairly certain that the bolts embedded in the rubber that hold them to the chrome pieces would snap off if I attempted to remove them) and I asked Tri-City plating about rechroming them and they told me it would be about $60.00 each and would take about 10 weeks. So, I decided to leave them off. I made a couple of small patch panels to fill in the slots on the rear splash pan and welded them in place. Then took out the dents, preped, primed, painted...etc...

I will post some new pics on my site when I get the rest finished.

Quick Reply: 73-74 Charger bumper gasket