Charger SRT-8 That thing got a Hemi? Indeed, a 6.1L Hemi that is. The Dodge Charger SRT-8 pounds the pavement with severe power.

Considering 07 Charger SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:16 PM
chinny4290
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 07 Charger SRT8

Hey guys. I'm new here. I'm looking into a CPO 2007 Charger SRT8 and was wondering if I can get some owner insight.

Just a little about me, My name's Chris, I'm 21, live in NJ and work for egmCarTech as an associate editor and go to Rutgers as a journalism/PR major.

I'm just wondering if I can get some owner insight about what its like to own one. I searched for a "buyer's guide" and couldn't find a comprehensive checklist of problem spots for these cars.

Some of my car history. I am coming from a line of European cars.

My first car was a W124 E320 Coupe that I loved to death. I drove it from 76k to 149k before a freak hydroplane accident totaled it. Average cost per year to maintain ranged from $700 to $1200. Very cheap for a Mercedes and very manageable for me. The most major work I had to do was replace the radiator but that was partially my fault for a minor fender bender when I was learning how to drive at 17.

Second car...well, that turned out to be a complete mess. I bought a 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Sport in November of 2010 with 98k miles with money I saved and insurance, replaced the tranny in December which has me cleaned out for the time being and now the V8 spun a rod bearing which was probably caused by the previous owner running the engine on low oil.

Now I know, y'all might humor me for buying a Jag, thinking, am I nuts? Well, just to clear up, the X308 has a really good reliability score for Jag, with maintenance and longevity no different than a E38 7-Series if properly maintained. and in 1997, the XJ6 was the third most reliable car sold in America back when JD Powers was somewhat credible and they conducted the survey.

I had it PPIed at a Jaguar Dealer and they found nothing wrong. Car Fax documented its consistent service intervals since being first bought until I bought it. My condition even has the guys at Jaguar forums both spooked and confused.

So that has me stuck going towards Japanese and American cars since the Europeans cleaned my wallet good enough. This is just to get me through college plus some.

I loved my Mercedes, and I love my Jag (despite it not working), so I'm considering the Charger because I'm willing to sacrifice build quality for hopefully cheaper running costs, driving performance, and the V8 plus more practicality of a 4-door. As much as I loved the I6 in my Benz and plus the overall love for I6s, the saying holds true...once you go with a V8 you can never go back...which is what the Jag has me at now.

All of that said, what are these cars like to own and what should I look out for, other than the usual, a good service history, a PPI and as much research about the car as I can? The one I am looking at is a one-owner car with 39k miles and seems to be priced really well around the low $20k's mark.

I've also read about some spotty reliability issues. Can anyone clarify this?

Also gas is a non-issue as the Charger with my right foot wont be any different than what I achieved in the Jag.

In terms of maintenance, I always change my own oil and only use synthetic every 7500 miles which is my golden rule. I can do pretty much any DIY work just short of major tranny and engine work and anything requiring special electrical tools.

Sorry I wrote a book but I felt that all of my details were necessary so you can get a solid idea of my intent and perspective. I plan to keep it stock other than maybe a CAI and exhaust and ECU upgrade.

Thanks in advance. Look forward to potentially joining another car community.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They are pretty nice reliable car.
However, Most owner Beat the living crap out of it...
I have few customer who bought SRT-8 new, they loved it, and it never gave them any problems.
I also have Few customer who Bought Used SRT-8, Blow trans, Engine, Rear end, Transfer Case on Jeeps, you name it.
I have a SRT-8 Jeep sitting in the dealership now waiting for an engine. Customer bought it Used, It cames in for Mis-Fire and Tapping noise from the Engine. We Found Nitrous Lines under the Vehicle.

They are Durable cars, But when you take it to the Track and Race it, Anything would break.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:11 PM
stlram
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After owning a 2006 SRT8 charger all I can tell you is it was probably my most favorite car I have ever owned. Its big and fast, it stops great and it can get you decent milage if you drive it normal.

That being said I would be very careful about buying a used one, I see its a CPO which helps but ask the dealership if you can contact the previous owner and see what they have to say about the car. Most of us who bought these cars will drive them hard but there is a difference between driving them hard and tearing them up.

I am in the same boat right now because I am looking at a used Caddy CTS V! Good luck.

Quick Reply: Considering 07 Charger SRT8