Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Help paint irregularities

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Help paint irregularities

ok here are some pictures of the paint on the hood of my truck, it was this way when we got the truck, but we did not notice it until we got it washed and sitting in the sun, any ideas on how to fix it??

[IMG]local://upfiles/54670/E969180C21D845749D733530FB007D4A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/54670/B5859A9BD4C6404AB43C31E4526C010B.jpg[/IMG]

ok and here is a spot which is on the tailgate which i cannot figure out how to get off, water has not worked, paint thinner(mineral spirits) has not worked and im afraid to use anything stronger, any suggestions

[IMG]local://upfiles/54670/7CB911C2A5F5431BBA4B895CACE4C9D0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/54670/AEDAFAE917BD4A6F8E510F668271F8B6.jpg[/IMG]

o and while im here the paint on the drivers door has a rough feeling to it which is not there on the roof, or the hood, and its bothering me, any ideas on how to take it off, and by the way im new to detailing so i have no idea what things are and an explanation/description of what you are talking about would be helpful thanks

Old 05-23-2007, 10:46 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help paint irregularities

Hood appears to be the bad clearcoat ... it gets pinholes and the water leaches under the clear and causes the discoloration ...
The tailgate I can't see due to lighting/focus ...
The rough feeling may be taken care of with a good machine buffing or a good claying

Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

on the tailgate its just above the glare and to the right, there is a grayish splotch of something, at first glance it looks like bird **** but its not bc it doesnt come off and its a visible bump that can also be felt would it be safe to try like acetone on it or is that just dumb???

and what brand of clay do you suggest using??? and where do i get it my local auto store???

Old 05-24-2007, 03:02 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have some extra time here or there, I highly recommend looking at this web site: http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/

Yea, it is hard to tell by the pictures what exactly is going on there. On the tailgate, have you tried just power washing it off? If it won't come off with a power washer, try letting some car wash soap soak into it, then take a plastic razor blade and come from either the top or bottom, not the side. Of course after that it must be washed, clayed, waxed.....

As for a clay bar, I would recommend this: http://www.danase.com/fostuldeclki.html But of course, companies like Meguiars or Mothers sell clay bars through auto parts stores.

EDIT: I just tried the link for the clay bar and it just takes you to the Danase home page, click Exterior Car Care -> Quick Detailers and Clay Bars -> Four Star Ultimate Detailing Clay Bar Kit

Old 05-24-2007, 06:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

no i have not tryed power washing as i do not have access to a power washer, but will try soap and a plastic razor on it, and is there any way to fix the paint on the hood w/o repainting the entire hood, or the entire truck??? as i cannot afford that was looking for a cheaper solution to that

Old 05-24-2007, 07:43 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

You don't have those quarter wash bays by your house... where you put in like 4 or 5 quarters and self wash it? The hoses at one of those places might help.

With a dark color truck it is hard to tell what is paint imperfections and what is the reflection of the trees, sky, etc in a picture. Do you have any better pictures of it? Maybe one at night or when it is darker outside would be easier.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:57 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

well when i take pictures at night you cannot see it, as i said it is only visible in the sunlight, but it is not just the reflection of the skys and trees in it, i was just hoping for a cheap fix to it, i will try and get you some better pictures but that might not be till tomorrow night

Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

Is this what you are talking about?

Old 05-25-2007, 11:11 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

yea thats it, posted lookin for a cheap way to fix it if anybody has one

Old 05-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Nappers
Professional

I really can't see whats going on as the picture looks pixelated. But...if your paint is rough, try claying the car (Meguiars sells a clay kit with everything you need), then use ScratchX, Meg's cleaner wax, Deep Crystal #2 polish then a coat of NXT or Gold Class.

ScratchX can be used by hand or by DA, if you have a DA make sure the ScratchX is the newer forumula. I did the above steps and my Neon turned out beautiful.

I cruise the Meguiars online site a lot, they have a great group of ladies and gents to help you. post your picture and maybe they can help you.

Aaron

Quick Reply: Help paint irregularities