Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Washing in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:59 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Washing in the rain

idk what kind of rain y ou get, but the rain here leaves the worst water marks on the car (of course im on well water, but w/e) and if you dont want them you ahve to either be driving it when it stops(blow dry) or go out w/ a towel and dry it off it sux having water spots[:@]

Old 09-10-2007, 07:21 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our tap water is very, very hard since it is filtered thru limestone. Shower heads normally have to be soaked in a special cleaner every year or so.

Sounds like you might have some "acid rain" problems up there....

Dusty

Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

well umm nooo, i am about 45 min outside of NYC(new york city) so there is alot of pollution in the air from the big apple, and alot of dust in the air that gets carried down, but our garden hose is run through our whole house filter which is 2 five(5) micron filters, one string and the other carbon which gets 99% of the particles out of the water so there is nothing left in the water to be left behind, but the rain leaves horrible marks from the pollen and dust in the air that it washed out, i hate it when it rains, actually just did today(i washed the truck yesturday and it needs it again)

Old 09-27-2007, 07:14 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

ORIGINAL: draftingmonkey

Just finished washing the wifes Honda CR-V, my Ram 2500 QC LB and Magnum R/T. Pouring rain out, first in a long time here in SoCal. Was wondering if anyone else washes their rigs in the rain. Being lazy I love it because after washing, wheels, tires & top to bottom, I give a good rinse and am finished. Been doing it for years. Finds that a good rain washes down the hard tap water and leaves the paint virtually spotless when it dries. As an added bonus and to conserve water, wear shorts or swimtrunks and take out some soap and shampoo and clean yourself while out there. May sound nutty but leaves the cars **** and span and me rainwater fresh.

Best of all it makes the neighbors think you're nuts and they have a tendency to 'leave the crazy guy down the street who washes his cars in the rain alone". OK, I never said I wasn't a little crazy.
I am a salesman at a small dealership but since it's so small I am also the one that ends up having to detail the cars also. (Along with the small repairs and even taking out the garbage. lol)

Anyways, if the cars have already been washed and they are only dirty from the dust being kicked up from the road, the rain will wash all that off and they dry nice and spot free. I love it when it rains.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:14 PM
xjken

I only wash my vehicles with soap when they are extremely dirty, most of the time I just wipe them off after it has rained. If they just have a layer of dust I use my California duster and follow that with a bottle of detailer or plain water. This works great from March till about the end of November, for December till March I spend alot of time at the do it yourself car wash.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 AM
draftingmonkey
Captain

I wish we would get some good rain out here. The fires have left ash everywhere and every time the wind blows it settles on the car. Doesn't help to be 3 miles from the beach and have a heavy dew on the car most mornings. WHERE'S MY RAIN, PLEASE.

Quick Reply: Washing in the rain