Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Messed up need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 PM
2bFree
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Messed up need help

I have not told my husband yet, figured I would ask here first. I was in a rush today and went to put gas in the Caliber, but was not paying attention and grabed the diesel handle instead, obviously it didn't fit since the nozzle is bigger then tank hole, but a little bit of diesel that was left in the nozzle went into the tank (pretty close to empty). I ended up filling completely up with the mid-grade unleaded and drove home. Everything seems fine when I drove home. My question is, is everything actually alright or did I ruin something in the engine.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:33 AM
CesarOwnz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have personally seen an instance where diesel fuel was inadvertantly put into a gasoline powered welder (4 cyl. engine). It started to smoke profusely, then stalled. The diesel fuel was drained from the tank, gasoline put in, and after cranking engine for about 1 1/2 minutes, it started and ran fine. Diesel fuel will not ruin your engine. It will foul the plugs, and may cause trouble with modern fuel injection systems, requireing flushing, and purging of the system, but that's about it.

If it was only a drop..yoou should be fine..i think..=/ hope..

Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You should be fine with that little amount since you filled it up and diluted it.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you'll be fine. i once put in half a tank of diesel.

the bigger nozzle fit fine in my old chevy. i was standing there daydreaming just filling the hell out of it with diesel. an old man got out a truck beside me and stared at me for awhile and finally said - boy, is that a diesel truck? and i said NO, does it look like a diesel (real smart *** like), and he said - well, i just wondering since your filling the damn thing up with diesel fuel.

Quick Reply: Messed up need help