Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Help, no turn signals or wipers!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:00 AM
dennis22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, no turn signals or wipers!

I have a 2007 Caliber SXT with approx 55k on it. The other morning I went out to start it and when I turned on the wipers, they didn't work. No sound coming from the wiper motor either. So I'm driving down our street and now I noticed that my turn signals aren't working either. When i get back home, I start checking to see what else might not be working and the radio, a/c, emergency flashers, etc. are all fine. I also noticed that my headlights are on even though the switch on the lever is turned off. The only way that they turn off is to turn the vehicle off. I checked the fuse box under the hood and all of the fuses appear to be fine. I also looked around under the hood and the dash for any loose or disconnected wires but didn't see anything obvious, everything looked fine. Is there another fuse somewhere that I am missing or perhaps a relay? If so, where is it and what does it look like? The car isn't driven a lot and had just been sitting in the driveway for about a week before this happened and the last time that it was driven everything was fine. What can I check next since I am at a loss and how can I tell if it's bad? What is the cost of the part? etc, etc. Thanks for any help you can give me...

Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 AM
BCP Service
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headlamps are on because the M/F switch is bussed IHS. The TIPM, defaults the headlamps for safety. You have lost M/F switch!! Try resetting IHS by neg battery disconnect for 3 min's. If does not, will more than likely need M/F switch. 4 different choices for 2007 caliber, will need 8 digits to id correct part price ..

Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 AM
dennis22

So, if I read your reply correctly, you are saying that I should disconnect the negative battery cable for 3 minutes and leave the positive one connected? I really appreciate your help...

Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 AM
dennis22

and also, where is the M/F Switch so that I can get the id number that you mentioned...

Old 07-09-2012, 11:19 AM
BCP Service
Amateur

The M/F switch is the "multifunction switch" its the stalk on the steering column that you use to turn on wipers and turn signals. The hazard uses a seperate circuit and thats why they are working. You also use m/f switch to "flash to pass" headlamps! The 8 dig's is the last eight of the Vehicle ID #, located on door sticker or on l/s of dash seen thru the windshield from the outside looking in. On a 2009 will start with the # "9" then 1 letter and 6 more #'s. .. That id's the vehicle.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:48 AM
dennis22

The turn signal "stalk" is on the right side of the steering column while the headlight control is on the "stalk" on the left side of the steering column. The last 8 digits on the VIN# are 7D403250. Also, what about the battery disconnect that you mentioned earlier. Do I disconnect both the negative and the positive cables?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:16 PM
BCP Service
Amateur

What?? No europ vehicle .. NY !! turn signal is on L/S !! Flash to Pass is on L/S !! Wiper control is on R/S !! ... Part # 5183952af $69.10 !! If trying to reset .. Take keys out of ignition, place in pocket, open hood, lift air intake cover w/ two thumb screws, disconnect negative battery cable, wait !! wait .. wait .. reconnect negative battery cable, retighten , reinstall intake cover, drop hood take key out of pocket, insert in ignition.. hope it reset !! , now reset clock and radio stations !! Good Luck !!

The following users liked this post:
geno67 (11-04-2023)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:08 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

your car is a right hand drive?
I Dont think the part number for US built left hand drive vehicle will work for your car.
If you really need to find out, remove the turn signal switch, all you need is some Torx, Philip, and Flat head screw driver, and 15 minute of time.
The part number should be stamped on the part itself.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:01 AM
dennis22

No, actually I made a mistake in my earlier post, turn signal, lights, etc are on the left side and wipers, mist, etc are on the right. I tried disconnecting the negative battery cable as earlier suggested, for about 4 mins and that did nothing except mess up the clock and radio. So today I'm doing what I was trying to avoid doing, taking it in to a repair shop. I appreciate the suggestions and help, not the sarcasm and talking down to me BCP. However, you sound like a person that knows everything about everything. Have a great day!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 AM
BCP Service
Amateur

No sarcasm intended, your post that stated the stalks are on diff sides, indicated that you may not be "familiar" with the vehicle, VIN indicates was a NY "Enterprise Rental" before you owned it. (thus LHD)..#2 Battery disconnect w/ key left in ignition WILL cause T.I.P.M. (totally integrated power module) aka "Gateway" .. to Shock and end result will be ..No Start !!, Thats why I indicated "put keys in pocket" .. also Battery is not easy to find if not familiar w/ underhood on caliber (lives under air intake) but also has jumper post's !! .. Part Number is correct (4 superscessions from OE part). battery disconnect (as indicated earlier) was a TRY at best.. Vehicle is CAN Buss w/ IHS slave modules that use BCM/CCN as communication to TIPM. That being said, any "module" that locks up (like a laptop), needs to be rebooted. as the BCM/CCN are IOD controlled circuits, they always have some power (approx .20 mA) to retain memory. battery disconnect will allow modules to "Sleep" and reboot.. Car needs a MF switch !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help, no turn signals or wipers!