Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

07 Caliber Overheating and shuts down...Help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jashley06c6
Thanks for all the information. I hate to sound ignorant, but where exactlly do I stick the dipstick? From underneath the car? I'm just not familiar with this process. A diagram would be great if you know where I can view one. How do I know for sure this has the CVT transmission? TIA
The thing that says "dealer Only" and "CVT fluid only", it is a Cap you can remove by twisting it counter clockwise with a plier.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 AM
shelleylavon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light out in dash - cannot see my speed at night

We just bought my daughter a 07 Caliber RT and have had a few problems! The one we seem to not be able to fix is the light in the dash, everywhere else works just fine but she cannot see her speed at night and we have checked the obvious, fuses, etc., took it into a mechanic who said he would have to tear the dash apart to even find the problem....maybe we should just take it to a dealer..
Also, need to get a owners manual for it - where do I order one please???

Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 AM
shelleylavon
Default Overheated 2nd day we had it or so we thought!

Forgot to add just a few days into having this new RT for her, we were driving in the hot heat with air on, only a hour into the drive climbing hills and a light/icon pops up - not sure what it meant no owners manual but we pulled over and checked the engine thinking it was over heating! No steam, nothing so we kept driving a bit longer to our destination - noticed the same thing as the guy in the earlier thread did, a whining noise, then less power - figured it was not to blow up engine etc., but why did this happen? It seems it is more common with these Calibers, sure hope we didnt buy our daughter a lemon!! We took it into a mechanic who cleared codes and I am just wondering is this a problem we are gonna have all the time when its hot out driving it? Does anybody know?

Old 08-28-2012, 11:45 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum.For the most part, the engines and transmissions are pretty reliable.
How many miles on the car? Has the transmission been serviced?

Do any of the dash/climate controls light up at night with the lights on? If so, the cluster must be removed to replace bad bulbs I would think.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do you have the codes ur mechanics cleared? Maybe you do need to upgrade your trans cooler before it does some catastrophic damage to the trans.
Which light is it on the Dash? can you point it out?

Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shelleylavon
We just bought my daughter a 07 Caliber RT and have had a few problems! The one we seem to not be able to fix is the light in the dash, everywhere else works just fine but she cannot see her speed at night and we have checked the obvious, fuses, etc., took it into a mechanic who said he would have to tear the dash apart to even find the problem....maybe we should just take it to a dealer..
Also, need to get a owners manual for it - where do I order one please???

Shelley,

You can download an owners manual from the link below. Also, if you want me to check for any open recalls on the vehicle just PM me the Vin and ask for recall info and I will check for you.

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/

Last edited by DodgeCares; 08-29-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:06 PM
shelleylavon
Default The light icon I seen

Originally Posted by steak59
do you have the codes ur mechanics cleared? Maybe you do need to upgrade your trans cooler before it does some catastrophic damage to the trans.
Which light is it on the Dash? can you point it out?
It was number 12 is what I seen - and I think if I remember correctly it was something to do with a trans axle? I don't know but what a experience let me tell you! We are on our 2nd Lon drive today with this car with air on and it's hot out again, we will see if it happens - I should take it to a dealer and have them go through it - we had the tranny serviced when our mechanic cleared the codes! I sure hope it is a bulb on the dash, yes other hings light up just not the speedometer - you think it's a bulb you say? Thank you so much for all of your help, and with gettin the owners manual too!!

Old 09-29-2017, 05:47 PM
carlitos10

09 dodge caliber overheating i fixed it

Last edited by carlitos10; 09-29-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:30 AM
Chargerguy69

Originally Posted by shelleylavon
Forgot to add just a few days into having this new RT for her, we were driving in the hot heat with air on, only a hour into the drive climbing hills and a light/icon pops up - not sure what it meant no owners manual but we pulled over and checked the engine thinking it was over heating! No steam, nothing so we kept driving a bit longer to our destination - noticed the same thing as the guy in the earlier thread did, a whining noise, then less power - figured it was not to blow up engine etc., but why did this happen? It seems it is more common with these Calibers, sure hope we didnt buy our daughter a lemon!! We took it into a mechanic who cleared codes and I am just wondering is this a problem we are gonna have all the time when its hot out driving it? Does anybody know?
what did it look like...? We had basically the same problem.the owners manual says it was the transmission temperature light. It says to pull over...put in neutral...let it cool down and then drive after the light goes off. Dealer tells new car owners the transmission is a sealed unit and the fluid will last the life of the car....yeah....right. Too many people trust this and never have the fluid changed.for extensive (or hard use) it's good to change it at about 60,000 or so. Otherwise it should be changed at 120,000. The fluid can break down and not do it's job right. There's a metal belt inside the transmission that relies on the fluid being up to par. If you go on line you can get an owners manual like the gentleman suggested...or you can go online for a copy of Dodge's service manual for your specific yr.make and model...I got one from emanualonline for about $29-32.00 and you will have a much better understanding of ALL your cars inside and outs. I hope this helps you

Old 10-20-2018, 03:31 AM
jamie mcguire
Default How did you fix it carlitos

Originally Posted by carlitos10
09 dodge caliber overheating i fixed it
How did you fix it did you put a trans cooler or just move to cooler country

Quick Reply: 07 Caliber Overheating and shuts down...Help please