Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

07 Caliber Overheating and shuts down...Help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:43 PM
jashley06c6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Caliber Overheating and shuts down...Help please

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and hoping you guys can help me with this.

My girlfriend has a 2007 Caliber, automatic transmission. Problem is, after about 30-45 minutes of driving on highway it will start whining and the Overheating light shows up. The gauge only shows halfway between Hot and Cold and there isn't any stem coming from under the hood.

After driving for another 10 minutes, the car starts to deaccelerate and she has to pullover due to only being able to drive at 35mph. What is going on???

Her Dad replaced both thermostats(checked them both and they function fine) and the fuel pump just FYI.

Also, when she puts the car in Drive, the transmission almost feels like its slipping. Takes a full 1 or 2 seconds to engage in Drive from Park (or any gear really.)

Thanks In Advance for any help you guys can give me.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:56 PM
stevewhiteparts

What DTC's are being set? The transmission overheating will cause this concern as well as the engine. With the delayed shift it sounds like the transmission mayhave overheated. The decreased power and top speed means the vehicle is in "limp in mode" it helps keep the drivetrain from destroying itself.

Robert

Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 PM
jashley06c6

DTC?? So would low transmission fluid cause this?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DTC means diagnostic trouble code. You can either pull them off your car's compute at Autozone for free (except California), or you can cycle the key ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON within 5 second, and write down the codes you see displayed in the Odomete.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 PM
jashley06c6

I appreciate the info!! Also, I'm not exactly sure her car has the CVT transmission.. No car manual. I've looked in the engine bay and there doesn't seem to be a dipstick anywhere. Were would it be?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 PM
jashley06c6

I cycled the key like you said and I got ...... And finally done came up. So I assume no codes were "thrown"

Old 07-18-2012, 04:14 AM
draginmopars

We have a 07 . It has done the same thing twice. has the CVT trans.

there is NO dip stick to check the trans , My surprise , after pulling the air inlet cover from over the battey, to find the tube with a dummy stick/ stub

dealer has to hook up to dealership computer and a remote unit with a special stick to check temp and level.

I used to work at the dealer and had my buddy check it for me...things were fine ,fluid was ok.

need to go back and ask him what he found out at the CVT class

Last edited by draginmopars; 07-18-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 AM
jashley06c6

Originally Posted by draginmopars
We have a 07 . It has done the same thing twice. has the CVT trans.

there is NO dip stick to check the trans , My surprise , after pulling the air inlet cover from over the battey, to find the tube with a dummy stick/ stub

dealer has to hook up to dealership computer and a remote unit with a special stick to check temp and level.

I used to work at the dealer and had my buddy check it for me...things were fine ,fluid was ok.

need to go back and ask him what he found out at the CVT class

Yes, please let me know what he found out.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:00 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jashley06c6
Yes, please let me know what he found out.
a revised bigger trans cooler should fix the trans temp problem usually.
Also, if you want to check your trans fluid level, just pull the Oil Dip stick, wipe it clean, stick it into the trans until it bottoms out. Take a ruler and measure it. level should be between 40mm - 60mm, depending on temp.
the SPECIAL dip stick is not special at all, it is just dip stick with Milimeter stamp on it instead of the "HOT" and "COLD" mark like the old days.

and ONLY use CVT fluid, do NOT use ATF.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 AM
jashley06c6

Originally Posted by steak59
a revised bigger trans cooler should fix the trans temp problem usually.
Also, if you want to check your trans fluid level, just pull the Oil Dip stick, wipe it clean, stick it into the trans until it bottoms out. Take a ruler and measure it. level should be between 40mm - 60mm, depending on temp.
the SPECIAL dip stick is not special at all, it is just dip stick with Milimeter stamp on it instead of the "HOT" and "COLD" mark like the old days.

and ONLY use CVT fluid, do NOT use ATF.
Thanks for all the information. I hate to sound ignorant, but where exactlly do I stick the dipstick? From underneath the car? I'm just not familiar with this process. A diagram would be great if you know where I can view one. How do I know for sure this has the CVT transmission? TIA

Quick Reply: 07 Caliber Overheating and shuts down...Help please