Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

2007 Dodge caliber, rough idle, moves at a snails pace

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 AM
gtgal95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2007 Dodge caliber, rough idle, moves at a snails pace

2007 Dodge Claiber base model 1.8L, ran fine when I parked it. About 2 hours later, started it up to go somewhere and it was idling rough like it was running on 3 cylinders and had an idiot light flashing on the dash (light was a lightning bolt between two vertical curved bars). Started down the road, when I shifted to second gear, it had a dead spot before it bucked and smoothed out. Top speed with the gas pedal to the floor was about 25mph. Pulled over, shut it off, did the key on-key off thing three times. Started it back up and it was running perfectly fine, no flashing idiot light. Can someone explain this? Do I need to get rid of it before it leaves me sitting alongside the road?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:28 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to DF! I will move this to the Caliber section.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:12 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It seems to usually be a bad throttlebody in most cases. It may or may not do it again.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:15 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gtgal95
2007 Dodge Claiber base model 1.8L, ran fine when I parked it. About 2 hours later, started it up to go somewhere and it was idling rough like it was running on 3 cylinders and had an idiot light flashing on the dash (light was a lightning bolt between two vertical curved bars). Started down the road, when I shifted to second gear, it had a dead spot before it bucked and smoothed out. Top speed with the gas pedal to the floor was about 25mph. Pulled over, shut it off, did the key on-key off thing three times. Started it back up and it was running perfectly fine, no flashing idiot light. Can someone explain this? Do I need to get rid of it before it leaves me sitting alongside the road?
Gtgal95,

Welcome to the Dodge Forum!!

The light that came on is the Electronic Throttle Control Indicator Light. This light informs you of a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control System. If a problem is detected, the light will come on while the engine is running. If the light remains lit with the engine running your vehicle will usually be drivable and not need towing, however it is recommended to see your dealer for service as soon as possible.

If the light is flashing when the engine is running you may experience power loss, and elevated/rough idle, and increased brake pedal effort, and you vehicle may require towing. Immediate service is required. This can be found on page 148 of the Owner's Manual.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: 2007 Dodge caliber, rough idle, moves at a snails pace