DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Caliber (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caliber-95/)
-   -   software update (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caliber/376895-software-update.html)

pat4life69 07-04-2014 12:48 PM

software update

Ok here my problem. My 08 caliber is stuck in limp mode. It is showing no codes but has the electric throttle control light is on. Sometimes it blinks sometimes it steady. It is my only vehicle and can't really afford to just have it looked at by a dealer for 110 dollars (just to hook it up to their computer seems a little ridiculously high) and I also like doing it for myself as well. I found something that said if the etc light was blinking with no codes it's software. Is there anyway I can get this on my own or any other ideas what this could be. I appreciate that help thank you.

lluvrig 07-04-2014 04:16 PM

Our 2007 Caliber was working fine, then suddenly refused to start. The ETC light is on.

Called the dealership. To get the part needed, it will be $1400. For them to install it, another $180. For them to flash the computer, another $110. The part is only available from a dealership, the work can only be done at a dealership.

We JUST finished paying off this car a month ago. Now it needs almost 2k worth of work, and it MIGHT have a value of 3k.

I'm too polite to say what I'm thinking about Dodge right now.

steak59 07-05-2014 12:48 AM

I can't imagine there are any parts that cost $1400 alone that can cause ETC light to come on, what part is it? maybe we can help sourcing the parts.

As for reprograming PCM, most of the time it is not quite necessary. Also, Dealership is not your only option, there are a lot of reputable shop also invested in the equipment to program PCM as well. Just have to call around. I can guarantee you their price would be any cheaper tho.

As for ETC light blinking, there will ALWAYS be a code, perhaps the code reader you are using are not working right.

pat4life69 07-05-2014 04:30 AM

I have used two different readers and both have read the exact same thing. I'll see if I can't use another one but not sure it'll help at all. Is there any ideas I can actually look at and maybe get hands on with to start weeding things out?

lluvrig 07-05-2014 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by steak59 (Post 3178883)
I can't imagine there are any parts that cost $1400 alone that can cause ETC light to come on, what part is it? maybe we can help sourcing the parts.

As for reprograming PCM, most of the time it is not quite necessary. Also, Dealership is not your only option, there are a lot of reputable shop also invested in the equipment to program PCM as well. Just have to call around. I can guarantee you their price would be any cheaper tho.

As for ETC light blinking, there will ALWAYS be a code, perhaps the code reader you are using are not working right.

The part needed is the ETC itself (throttle body) - except we can't get just the ETC, we have to buy the whole unit/assembly (according to the dealerships we've called). We're in Nova Scotia and I know things can be a lot different between Can/US. The mechanics we've called have all told us that because the car is less than 10 years old, only a Chrysler dealership can flash the PCM.

RDuck 07-05-2014 09:43 AM

Bah. They gotta be full of ****.
call a wrecker and price out the throttle body.
Also, there is performance parts out there for brand new vehicles and they get them flashed or changed for the new parameters all the time.
So I doubt you little car can ONLY be done at the dealer.
Being in N.S. maybe your stuck with limited shops to choose from. Maybe time to call other parts of the country and find out more about this.

steak59 07-05-2014 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by lluvrig (Post 3178905)
The part needed is the ETC itself (throttle body) - except we can't get just the ETC, we have to buy the whole unit/assembly (according to the dealerships we've called). We're in Nova Scotia and I know things can be a lot different between Can/US. The mechanics we've called have all told us that because the car is less than 10 years old, only a Chrysler dealership can flash the PCM.

You can try junk yark, any chrysler with 2.4l eninge has same throttle body from 2007-2013, except pt cruiser. Also, you can buy it off internet from dealer base on US, I think the throttle body was 300 dollar. You dont have to program pcm. Just disconnectbattery for 15 minute should be enough.

Also,not sure about where you live, there are plenty of indy shop has j2534 equipment can program pcm.

master tech 07-06-2014 01:38 AM

If the Electric Throttle Control lamp (ETC) is on, You may have codes stored or active in another module, instead of the PCM. You can replace the throttle body from another car, But you should also replace the Gas Pedal too and then have a scanner to calibrate the ETC.

Here is some information for those that are having a no start problem.

DIAGNOSIS:
1. With the condition present (i.e. the vehicle in the no crank / no start condition), connect
the StarSCAN® scan tool to the vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position, and power up the StarSCAN®.
3. If the WCM is electronically locked up, the StarSCAN® will display the WCM as being
“off bus”.
4. If the no crank / no start condition is present, and the WCM is “off bus”, then reset the
WCM by temporarily removing the IOD fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch),
wait for 10 seconds and then reinstall the IOD fuse.
5. With the IOD fuse reset having been performed, verify that the vehicle will now crank,
start, and run.
6. If the condition is temporarily corrected by performing the above steps, and if the part
number of the WCM is earlier than the part number of the WCM listed in the part
reference table in the Service Bulletin Parts Required Section below, then perform the
Repair Procedure

pat4life69 07-17-2014 06:33 PM

Well I semi found my problem. A high pressure in the oil system. It had the ETC light on and in limp mode while I had it running with the hood up. My neighbor came over we talked for a minute. I turned the car off, walked around to the front, and he says give it another try. I turned it over and boom, ran like nothing was wrong. I asked him what he did. He had just taken the oil cap off. A large amount of pressure was blowing out of it. My question now is what can cause this and how screwed am I?

dhawke 07-20-2014 11:01 AM

updates

So if im reading this right our dodge vehicles need updates from time to time is that correct because I have 2007 dodge ram hemi 1500 4x4 5.7 I have a light issue where my right bulb is out and its not the bulb its new both are I even changed the head light plug and still no fix I even checked the head light switch it looks to bee in good shape and for the fuse box looks in to be great shape to and yesterday I was told to pull the I.O.D fuse for five minutes or so but that hasn't worked as of yet im really hoping its not the tpim my next step is disconnect the negative terminal