Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

'07 SXT Boggy idle/No throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:01 AM
Suzonda
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 SXT Boggy idle/No throttle

So after a recent purchase for a new family car we ended up with a '07 Caliber SXT 2.0 Auto. It had the issue where it wouldn't go past 2k RPM and wouldn't go above 30mph (Limp Mode) even when floored. We were told it was just the throttle pedal assembly and it came with a new one, I put it in and still nothing. My mechanic replaced the throttle body with a brand new Cardone one, and that didn't effect anything. Then came the MAS, Cat Conv, Fuel Filter and even ECM, but no luck. So the other day he replaced the head gasket because it was spitting and sputtering and burning through coolant, all connectors are back in their place, now there's no throttle at all.

No codes, no idiot lights, and it now wants to skip horribly. Rechecked timing and everything is aligned properly. Any ideas?

Last edited by Suzonda; 03-22-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:51 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

So why do you keep using the same mechanic who obviously does not know what he is doing and just throwing parts at it at your expense. Is the check engine light on?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:31 PM
Suzonda
Rookie

So have an update:

THERE IS NO COOLANT IN THE OIL JUST SO YOU KNOW! I went to take the throttle body off again so I can change it out for a not el-cheapo one and noticed there was oil pissing out the seal. Now the plenum gasket is good, the valve cover gaskets are new, and there's no coolant going anywhere, yet I'm still stuck. I'll be doing the head gasket myself here in a couple days that way I know it's done right. I did that pedal trick and now I have some throttle but it's still stuck in limp mode. Apparently someone (mechanic I paid $1500 to do all the work that NEVER got done) decided to pull the engine, and put it back without putting the lower motor mount in...

Any suggestions -not- involving the mechanic?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:38 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This goes against "not involving a mechanic" but,
Personally, before throwing more parts at it, I would pay a Dodge dealer to hook up their Star scan tool and look at all of the live data at idle and while trying to drive the car. An hour or so of labor for a proper diagnosis would be well worth the money in my opinion, before pulling the head which may not be needed.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:28 AM
Suzonda
Rookie

Originally Posted by lxman1
This goes against "not involving a mechanic" but,
Personally, before throwing more parts at it, I would pay a Dodge dealer to hook up their Star scan tool and look at all of the live data at idle and while trying to drive the car.
There's a problem with that statement. How are they supposed to drive the vehicle when there's no throttle to be able to do so? I've hooked it up to multiple scan tools, even my own and there are NO codes pulling up. when I connect it to live feed it can't find the mix ratio but the revs span from 450-630 for a few seconds, jump up to 2k then die right then and there. It has to sit for about 10 minutes then it'll run but it shakes to the point it acts like a mount's broken which non are. The oil is good, the fuel tank is full, and all filters are clean. There's also no vacuum leaks.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:43 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

OK, have you checked the actual fuel pressure when it is running?