Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

throttle body dash sign

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 05:03 PM
jamesneon2003
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body dash sign

hi there my ETC LIGHT CAME ON THE OTHER DAY.
it for my throttle body. I drive a 2011 dodge caliber mainstream

I notice when I start my car it idle at 2000 rpms then gradually goes down to 700 rpms. my car does not shake or anything.

when my light came on I was loosing acceleration power I pulled over waited 10 mins then start the car and the light was gone and I was able to drive home.

this morning I drove to the grocery store I put it in park and let it idle for a bit.
my idle jump to 1500 rpms and the lighting red bolt light came on. I shut it off waited for 5 seconds turned it on the light was gone and drove home.
im guessing it my throttle body if so.. MY CAR HAS 39,000 MILES.

1. can throttle body be cleaned
2. COULD IT BE my TPS SENSOR.
3. I CALLE DDOGE DEALER THEY SAID IT WOULD BE 800-1,000 DOLLARS TO GET A NEW THORTTLE BODY INSTALLED.
ANY IDEAS OR THOUGHT.. THANK YOU.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:57 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

1 Yes it can, must be removed to clean
2 It is possible. You would need to monitor the voltage output when driving
3 OUCH!!!

Old 05-29-2017, 08:32 PM
Richie12
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body cleaning

Hi, mine is a 2007 2.0L gas. Though I am guessing that the '07 & '11 have the same throttle body but you can easily check part numbers for the two to be sure or if there is much difference.
The biggest reported issue is the gears inside the throttle body, right near and just off idle the plastic gears wear out, but with 39,000 miles I don't think so.
I replaced mine but it is very tight area. 5/16 inch to take the clamps off hose, 10 mm to remove the 4 bolts that hold the throttle body to the intake, I think it is 13mm to remove the one bolt for the bracket that straddle the engine side two 10 mm bolts.
One electrical plug is not tricky, just make sure it "clicks" when going on when done, it is hard to tell.
Recent I had to clean the throttle body. To see what I was doing I removed the radiator fans to begin with which gives the throttle body service easy......only remove the fans is annoying.
Before you start you might make sure the PCV is good...too much oil will get down to the throttle body/intake if that is bad.
Send me a personal message if you want to talk more.
Rich

Last edited by Richie12; 05-30-2017 at 11:06 AM.