DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Caliber (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caliber-95/)
-   -   Real Gas Mileage with automatic (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caliber/63824-real-gas-mileage-with-automatic.html)

floorslayer1 06-29-2006 02:50 PM

Real Gas Mileage with automatic

Hello, I've always been a Caravan person, but the wife and I are looking into a Caliber as our commuter. Can anyone tell me what kind of gas mileage they're getting with the 1.8l and the automatic transmission? The EPA estimates are all based on the manual as far as I can see. The other question I have is, is the "auto-stick" i see mentioned , the same as the automatic. The Dodge.com website does not talk about an auto-stick under the caliber area. Thanks

NilObject 06-29-2006 07:46 PM

RE: Real Gas Mileage with automatic

I'm doing a mixture of city/highway driving, but I have the 2.0L with the CVT. My first tank I didn't measure (a little heavy footed ;)), but my second tank gave me 26 mpg. My daily commute is about 10 miles of highway (driving about 73 MPH), and then another 10 miles of slower moving traffic -- more like city driving. I have cruise, and use it on those 10 miles (hey, I'm lazy). It's also been in the mid 90's here in Austin for the last few weeks, so the AC has been on the entire time.

I've heard that mileage improves for a while after a car is new. However, 26 MPG isn't out of line with the EPA estimates for the type of driving I've been doing. I can't wait for my road trip up to my wedding (starting a week from tomorrow). That'll be 99% highway miles for 1800 miles. Plus, once I get closer to the north-east, I'll be using the AC much less.

mahal3680 06-29-2006 10:05 PM

First off, you can't get the 1.8 with an automatic tranny. You have to get the 2.0, which of course will suffer less MPG than a manual tranny.

cali_stang 06-30-2006 06:01 AM

i got 30mpg, driving at 65-70 from jacksonville to miami. i have 2.0 with an auto. gota love it!

TUNDRA_schumacher 06-30-2006 12:27 PM

Our 2.4 is getting about 26 mpg overall.

fitz7 07-01-2006 06:10 AM

I really hate to admit this, but I'm only getting mid 24 to low 23 mpg in my 2.0 SXT w/auto. BUT, I do live just outside of Houston- VERY HOT and very humid. There's no way you can drive 9 or 10 months out of the year without the air blowing at stun level. Also, the main roads around here have a speed limit of 60 mph. So when I get to a light, I have to be the first one off the line. Then I drive for a half mile or less and have to stop. Then it's off again for another half mile or so. There is quite a bit of highway driving though, without the stoplights- sometimes. It's very mixed. I kept thinking that something was wrong, but after writing this and really thinking about it, I guess that it's not so bad after all- seeing as how I drive like I have to prove that this Caliber is really a bad ass- there's a whole lot of pick-ups down here, and they aren't that curious or impressed with a Caliber.
Fitz

shelbyzman 07-02-2006 01:43 PM

The Caliber is a cool looking car, not so good on the gas. My brother bought one and is only getting around 22 mpg. This is not because of driving it hard. He took it to Dodge, because this mpg sure isn't what dodge was advertising it should be. They did some crapped up fuel consumption test and it showed that his car should be getting 40mpg. If you want a car for good mpg look somewhere else. Dodge hasn't be honest with this one. Just my two cents.

cali_stang 07-02-2006 02:59 PM

well, ive noticed this when buying new cars. it'll take 10k miles at least to see some "real" gas mileage. gota break these things in.

KimBo K. 07-03-2006 09:07 AM

have the 2.0 SXT with auto.
can see it in my signature in liter/100km

HillBillyWannaB 07-06-2006 10:32 AM

My average so far is around 25-26 mpg overall. I just turned 1000 miles and I do about 50/50 city/hwy driving. I've heard that you should wait until 4-5000 miles with an oil change to really judge mpg.