Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Cars > Dodge Caliber
Reload this Page >

Test Drove an R/T

Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Test Drove an R/T

Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Scimitar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drove an R/T

Well, my dealer got in a Caliber R/T and let me have a test drive. It's difficult to say how hugely disappointed I was. Performance is just pathetic, my old non-turbo '01 PT Cruiser would have blown the doors off the Caliber. Road noise was way above acceptable levels, no wonder they put a 458-watt sound system in it, even the dealer thought so. Not nearly as much room as my current PT Cruiser, and the blind spots are worse.

Hope all of you enjoy your Calibers when you get them, but I won't be getting one. The dealer said the R/T I ordered would make good dealer trading material for him, so no problem there. I'll probably be paying the rest of my life, but I ordered a new AWD Magnum R/T instead. Got a decent deal, and it'll be here before the Caliber, probably. Best wishes to all of you.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:08 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran
Default RE: Test Drove an R/T

Well I hate to stress this but, THE CALIBER IS NOT A PERFORMANCE VEHICLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Caliber R/T I drove felt very peppy and I was more than happy with it. I don't remember hearing any noise in the Caliber I drove. The room levels are about equal as far as space goes inside. Enjoy your station wagon!

Old 08-10-2006, 03:08 AM
RTWarrior

Those were kind of my first impressions when I test drove my RT. Not any more since I've broke it in and learned to drive the CVT2. I test drove a 1 year old 2 door convertable turbo PT the same day I bought My Caliber and wasn't impressed with it at all, could have got it $10,000 cheaper than my RT. I bought the caliber for the potential I see in customizing not for it being a top notch sport car. The caliber is actually a lot quicker than i thought it would ever be after test driving it and handles very decently for its price point. The PT has been refined for many years now, I'm sure a lot of the first year gripes have been taken care of long ago. Good luck with the Magnum, nice vehicle.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:56 AM
mahal3680
Veteran

I've taken four test drives since I ordered my Caliber, and I don't recall hearing any road noise. Driving a Dodge Ram with aggressive mudd tires with duel exhaust, and then jumping into a Caliber was like night and day. In the Caliber, I could almost hear my heart beat in comparison to my Ram!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
shiltz
Captain

That was basicaly my impresion when I test drove one too, i'm hoping the FWD R/T may be better but not holding my breath.

While the Caliber isn't a performance oriented car the R/T badging indicates the performance trim which it doesn't even come close to living up to, honestly I would be ok with the poor performance if it got the expected trade off of good fuel economy for the poor performance, but it doesn't even get that, my Hemi get's has good fuel economy on the highway.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:14 PM
GypsyBill

You want a hotrod? Wait for the SRT-4.. and thanks... I do enjoy my R/T for the reason I bought it.. when I need power, I have another vehicle for that..

Old 08-10-2006, 05:25 PM
TUNDRA_schumacher
Captain

I'll race your 01 PT in my R/T for pinks..........[8D]

Old 08-10-2006, 11:01 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran

ORIGINAL: shiltz

That was basicaly my impresion when I test drove one too, i'm hoping the FWD R/T may be better but not holding my breath.

While the Caliber isn't a performance oriented car the R/T badging indicates the performance trim which it doesn't even come close to living up to, honestly I would be ok with the poor performance if it got the expected trade off of good fuel economy for the poor performance, but it doesn't even get that, my Hemi get's has good fuel economy on the highway.
Well I think R/T these days doesn't necessarily mean high performance like it used to. I have a Stratus R/T and there's nothing really performance about it. Yes, it does have more power than the SXT, but its nothing special. The Neon R/T was the same way. There wasn't really anything performance at all with the Neon R/T. The Stratus R/T Sedan was also the same way.

R/T in some Dodge vehicles is kind of the new ES model, which if you've been dealing with Dodge's long enough was their top of the line model of that particular vehicle.

SRT has kinda taken over what R/T used to be back in the good ole days!

Gas milage depends on your driving habits. If you have a heavy foot, then even a Neon will suffer tremendously. You can't estimate gas milage off the sticker, which is usually not even close to being correct because of the way they do their testing. There are many reasons why the Caliber doesn't get Neon gas milage. Its a heavier car, that sits up higher, and oh the R/T most likely has AWD which adds about 150-200 lbs and at times, drives 4 wheels instead of 2. Sure, the Magnum does the same thing, but has a much more powerful engine. Like I've said before, I just think the new world engines just don't get that good gas milage. Even the 2007 Chrysler Sebring with the new 2.4 Liter in it doesn't get all that great of gas milage and it even has a regular automatic transmission in it.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:46 PM
shiltz
Captain

Gas milage depends on your driving habits. If you have a heavy foot, then even a Neon will suffer tremendously. You can't estimate gas milage off the sticker, which is usually not even close to being correct because of the way they do their testing. There are many reasons why the Caliber doesn't get Neon gas milage. Its a heavier car, that sits up higher, and oh the R/T most likely has AWD which adds about 150-200 lbs and at times, drives 4 wheels instead of 2. Sure, the Magnum does the same thing, but has a much more powerful engine. Like I've said before, I just think the new world engines just don't get that good gas milage. Even the 2007 Chrysler Sebring with the new 2.4 Liter in it doesn't get all that great of gas milage and it even has a regular automatic transmission in it.
Well the Sebring really isn't that bad, if the caliber got the same fuel economy as the Sebring does with the same engine that would make it a lot more aceptable, the Sebring with the 2.4L world engine and a 4 speed auto gets 23/31 and is almost the identical weight of the Caliber, i'm sure some of it from the AWD system but even still AWD typicaly only causes a 1-2 MPG loss in highway fuel economy and the Jeep Compass shows basicaly that, the 4x4 CVT is 23/26, the FWD CVT is 24/27.

Personaly I still think it's the CVT that's causing it, i've read a few articaly saying they used a cheapo old design CVT. the Jeep Compass shows a huge difference between the CVT and the 5 speed manual in fuel economy 4X4 23/26 CVT vs 25/29 5sp and 4X2 24/27 CVT vs 26/30 5sp which doesn't say much about that CVT given that a modern standard 4 speed auto can match a 5 speed manual in fuel economy now.

I do really like the Caliber and i'm looking around for something cheaper, but the whole drivetrain issue is what's making it a no-sale for me, everything else is great about it, the SRT-4 is great, better fuel economy than the R/T and much much better perfomance, but sadly no auto, manual only.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:30 AM
TUNDRA_schumacher
Captain

I'm really starting to like the cvt....specially in slapstick mode

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test Drove an R/T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: