Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: Which GC Should I Buy - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 02:07 PM
vandykd3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which GC Should I Buy - Advice Needed

I settled on the Grand Caravan because sheets of plywood and drywall can fit in them with the rear door closed, and the Stow -N Go seating creates the ease I want when switching between hauling people and hauling materials. I discovered that, with the Grand Caravan, I can also tow a trailer behind, too, which would be my ultimate choice scenario. I've done my research, but I'm not a car guy so I have some questions about which generation and model year(s) have the engines and other aspects that best fit my needs. As I said, I'm looking for the best or a couple/few best choices for which generation and model year(s) best fit my wish list. Here's what I have so far:
  1. I don't need lots of frills so SE trim is fine although trim is secondary to my other wants. I certainly don't need all the entertainment options included on some trim levels. Auto side doors sound cool, but I really don't care what's manual and what's power... so I say now
  2. For 4th Gen, should I restrict my search to 3.8L EGH V6 200 HPE engine? If so, is there any way to know which engine is in it if the advertisement doesn't say?
  3. I saw online that the 2005 model year should be avoided. Is this advice worth listening to?
  4. For 5th Gen, there are 3 engines that are worth considering, I think, but the Pentastar 3.6L is only available from 2011 on. Is 4.0L V6 SOHC preferred over the 3.8L V6 OHV? The 2010 4.0L included a new 3.16 final drive ratio. What is this, and is it worth thinking about given what I'm looking for?
  5. I saw online that the 2008 and 2011 model should be avoided. Is this advice worth listening to?
  6. Apparently, the 2009 model has an optional "sport" suspension system. Does anybody know if this is worth looking for if I end up going with a 2009?
  7. If 2011s are okay to consider, is it worth considering over older models due to that year's upgrade to the heavily re-tuned suspension (larger from sway bar and new rear sway bar), increased rear roll roll center height, adjusted spring rates, a new steering gear, a revised front static camber setting, and lowered ride height?
  8. I read in a forum post that you should get a/the trailer prep package if you are going to be towing. For sporadic towing, is this necessary/advised? How do I go about getting that package if I want to do it? Was this an optional upgrade when new off the lot or an after market thing?
  9. Again, the 2005, 2008 and 2011 were listed as model years to avoid. What's the general thoughts on this?
Any other thoughts are welcome. Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Old 12-11-2020, 10:23 AM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You have a very wide range of stuff up there so I'll say this: The 3.6 is in a ton of vehicles which means you can find them in junk yard everywhere. I can tow 3600lbs in my 2018 and since I have built my own cold air intake (overbuilt, even wrapped with fiberglass insulation backed with foil) I can tow 2000lbs without even noticing it's there when accelerating from 0-70 or 80mph and then maintaining that speed. The 4.0 has less power than the 3.6 because it's older tech. The OHV would be easier to rebuild someday though. Also the 2018 has very large brake rotors so stopping 2000lbs isn't awful. I haven't towed since summer so I can't recall how braking was but I would remember if I thought it was lousy.

I can put in a 4x8 sheet of drywall without beating it up too much but I have to move the front seats up a few inches (I'm 6'2 and the seats are already not far enough back). The 4x8 sheets scuff up the plastic on the sides so I would recommend putting on some masking tape or thin wood trim (like mobile home panels) against the sides to protect the value/look. Also I have those clothing racks hanging from the handles up top and I can put 8-10 foot pieces of trim up there depending on how flexible they are. I really put them up there because I keep my fishing gear up there since I fish damn near daily from April to August. https://www.autozone.com/interior-or...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by IDon'tGiveARam; 12-11-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: [General]: Which GC Should I Buy - Advice Needed