Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Dodge Carvan - brake problems, maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:38 AM
aaronrkelly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Carvan - brake problems, maybe?

I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan. It does NOT have anti-lock brakes. I verified that when I bought it and also myself during braking many times. It also does NOT have traction control.

This week I had the emergency brake light and the ABS lights come on in the dash. Under the digital odometer there is also a TRAC OFF message. These all show up within a few seconds of starting the van, each and every time.

I have checked brake fluid level, fine and its not losing any. I have checked all the fuses. The van drives and stops like normal, no change.

Im at a complete loss how I could be having a malfunction in two systems my van doesnt even have.....makes no since.

Anybody got any advise or insight?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2007, 01:57 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: 2003 Dodge Carvan - brake problems, maybe?

Give me the last 8 of your vin and i wull make sure 100% that dont have it then that part can be ruled out and see if u have a insterment cluster issue.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:10 AM
aaronrkelly

Sure......

last 8 of the vin is

3B160472

thanks in advance for the help.....I really appreciate it.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

ok with your vin u are right no abs there is a tsb 08-015-04
for an abs light that comes on when u dont have abs what u do is take it to the dealer and they update your insterment cluster software to correct this issue.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:37 AM
aaronrkelly

Thanks, that sounds EXACTLY like my problem. Any idea if there is any fees involved for this? The van is out of warranty and if its to expensive Im considering just over looking the lights.

For others who may be searching for this problem later......here is the text of the TSB.

NUMBER: 08-015-04
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: April 27, 2004
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-021-03 DATED JUNE 27, 2003 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES CORRECTING THE SUBJECT.
SUBJECT:
ABS, BRAKE, TRAC OFF and Security/Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) Cluster Lamps Illuminated on Vehicles not Equipped with ABS Brakes or **SKIM**.
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves using the DRBIII(R) to clear the instrument cluster of all learned features instead of replacing the instrument cluster.
MODELS:
2001 - 2003 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Vehicles not equipped with ABS brakes may have the ABS, BRAKE, and TRAC OFF lamps illuminated on the instrument cluster or vehicles not equipped with Sentry Key Immobilizer (SKIM) may have the Security/VTA lamp illuminated on the instrument cluster.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the condition is present, perform the Repair Procedure.
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Connect a Battery Charger and set as close to 14 volts charge as possible.
2. Flash reprogram the BCM using the MDS2(R), operating at CD 2121 or higher, and the DRBIII(R) operating at software release level 55.3 or higher. The BCM software must be p/n 04833855AD.
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
NOTE: THE DRBIII(R) MUST BE AT LEVEL 55.0 OR HIGHER AND THE MDS2(R) AT CD 2111 OR HIGHER TO PERFORM THE REPROGRAMMING.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Connect the DRBIII(R) to the vehicle diagnostic connector, using cable CH7000.
2. Turn the ignition key to the ON position (engine off).
3. From the DRBIII(R) Main Menu, select # 1 - DRBIII(R) Standalone
4. Select # 1 - 1998 - 2005 Diagnostics
5. Select # 1 - All
6. Select # 3 - Body Interior
7. Select # 2 - Electro/Mech Cluster (MIC)
8. Select # 9 - Miscellaneous
9. Select # 1 - Reset Learned Features
10. Follow the directions on the DRBIII(R) screen.
11. When the DRBIII(R) returns to the Miscellaneous Menu, select # 2 - Reset Module.
12. Erase fault codes using the DRBIII(R).
13. Disconnect the DRBIII(R) from the vehicle.
14. Verify the ABS, BRAKE, TRAC OFF, and Security lamps are no longer illuminated.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:25 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

ummm I would charge an hour at my shop we are 95 an hour so where ever u are and the local dealer in your area call and ask I need a insterment cluster flash how much is it.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Carvan - brake problems, maybe?