Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

99 Grand Caravan Speedo reading high

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 PM
bugfanatic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Grand Caravan Speedo reading high

I may have two problems: About a month ago I started noticing the cluster was going in & out. I'll do the solder fix when I get a minute, but, just the other day I noticedthe speedo wasn't reading the correct speed. What I mean is that if the van is parked & you turn the key on even without the engine running, it will read 10mph. Then as you drive, it will increasingly show you going faster like it will show you doing 45 when you're really doing 25. Ok, I figured I put it off long enough & I pulled the cluster & did thesolder fix - which worked perfectly. No more gauge problems EXCEPT the speedo is still wrong. What exactly would cause this & how can I fix it?I was told that I have a bad cluster but I'm just not buying it, especially after taking mine out & inspecting it before I sodlered it. I was also told that it could be a bad BCM but I just can't see how this would cause this. Here's my best guess, could this be the output speed sensor?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:23 PM
pmarr617
Default RE: 99 Grand Caravan Speedo reading high

Would you please elaborate on 'the solder fix' you mentioned in your post?

Thanks, Pete

Old 06-21-2007, 12:00 AM
bugfanatic

One of thesolder jointson the back of the circuit board has an almost imperceptible crack right at the solder. This is on the backside of the main black connector. Common problem, easy to fix. https://dodgeforum.com/m_277898/tm.htmthe ABS lights come on, cluster goes dead, etc- fixed it. Now my cluster work, just my speedo is still off. Also, my cruise control still works if that helps to diagnose it.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 AM
pmarr617

Ah, that would explain why replacing my gauge package fixed my problem.

Hopefully others will see this and be able to save themselves some trouble.

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:12 PM
bugfanatic

Yes,removing the cluster isa little involved, but it goes fast. I think I had mine out in 10 minutes. I think the total fix took just over an hour. There's more info on another Dodge forum including pictures which I can't post here.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:16 PM
bugfanatic

Ok, I also did the cluster diagnostic test & it didn't find anything wrong, yet my needle is still in the wrong spot. For anyone who might want to know, to do the self-diagnostic test on a '99, with the key off, hold down the trip & reset buttons & then turn the key on continuing to hold the buttons down for about another 5 seconds or so & it will say 'CODE' & then 999 in the odometer window. It will then go through several tests & you can see the needles move & the lights sequence. Kind of neat. Anyway, does anyone have an idea as to how to recalibrate my cluster?

Here are the available codes:
110 Memory Fault in cluster
111 Calibration fault in cluster
905 No CCD bus messages from TCM
921 Odometer fault from BCM
940 No CCD bus messages from PCM
999 End of Codes

I forgot to add that I also pulled the IOD fuse for about 10 minutes but that didn't fix it either. I really need to find a way to recalibrate this cluster. I thought the diagnostic test was supposed to do this but it didn't work for me. Ideas anyone?

Old 06-22-2007, 12:19 AM
bugfanatic

UPDATE: I went out & ran the self-diagnostic test once again because I couldn't leave well enough alone & when it started moving the needles, the speedometer needle came off. That's right, fell right off & is laying behind the cluster lens. -??? Well, that shouldn't be a difficult fix, I'll just have to pull the cluster again tomorrow & press it back on. I got a feeling somebody was doing the Fonzi tap on the top of the dash to get the gauges to work again & the needle had vibrated, moved, & then actually fell off. I'll have to say that I'mglad that it came off or I'd be scratching my head for some time on this one. I never would have suspected thatthe needlehad moved on the post. So, to you out there pounding on the top of your dash to get your gauges to work, tap lightly.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 PM
bugfanatic

Fixed the problem. Pulled the clusterLENS & left the gauge cluster in it's place still plugged in, turned the key on to see where the needle wanted to be (or at least the speedo needle post) & pushed the needle back on right next to the stop pin. Ran the gauges through their self diagnostic test one last time & then put the lens on & took it for a test drive. Seems to be close. The only question I had, which will affect my speedo accuracy, isshould I have pushedthe needle on at the thick zero line or next to the stop pin instead like I did. Oh well, if it's off it's an easy fix & it'll only be off a few mph.

Quick Reply: 99 Grand Caravan Speedo reading high