Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Air bag Dash light

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:49 AM
fhb_01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bag Dash light

I have a 2002 Caravan and the air bag dash light keeps coming on and off. It only comes on when I am driving and making a turn (Right or Left) then when I drive straight the light goes back off. If I am sitting in the driveway and not moving I can turn the steering wheel and the light stays off. Does anyone know anything about this???????

Old 09-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: Air bag Dash light

get the code scanned for the air bag computer and go from there.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:02 PM
pgcorky

Can you use a regular code reader for this job? I've had a similar problem with intermittent Air Bag light illuminating, but when I do a code read I get "no codes found". Of course I'm reading for a code when the light has managed to go off again....

Old 10-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

no u need a high end scanner or a chrysler DRB both are around 5k each so u would be better off going to a dealer or a shop that can read the air bag computer.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:17 AM
pgcorky

Whoa! I looked at the DRB III scanners - that's a lot of cash - so I'll leave code reading to the dealer I guess. But based on some other research, it sounds like an intermittent airbag warning lightmight have to do with a weight sensor on the passenger seat. Does that sound possible? I know guessing is no substitute for a real diagnosis, but I've seen some other forums indicating that Dodge put in a system that senses weight in the passenger seat so that it wouldn't deploy if a child (or anyone less than about 40 lbs ) was in that seat. So I'm wondering if I can try to recalibrate that or if that's a dealer only kind of adjustment... Just a thought. I know that when I drive the van by myself the light doesn't seem to go on, but when my wife is with me, it's off an on. FHB-01, do you get the light if you have a passenger or 50 lbs of bricks on the seat!?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Chances are your clockspring is going bad. Check with your dealer about recall.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:43 PM
pgcorky

Anybody know if 2003 was covered in a clockspring recall? I saw a lot about 1998 through 2000 model years, but nothing beyond. I guess it could be the clockspring even without a recall which would just be my luck. So has anyone done a good write up of the procedure to replace? Can a guy with average tools and know how get this done.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:04 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

There are no recalls on clockspring on 2003.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
pgcorky

Well, just got a call from my mechanic. He says I need a new driver side airbag and that will be $800 please. Of course the person on the phone can't tell me why an undeployed airbag in a 4 year old car would be faulty. Don't understand it. I may take it to another shop for a second opinion - but certainly would like to hear what you all think! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Air bag Dash light