Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

I need help.. please!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:06 PM
miles26
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help.. please!!

Hi guys, new to the forum.

My brother's Dodge Caravan 2001, engine blew. The mechanic replaced the engine, for a used Stratus engine, the engine started and ran for a while and now it doesn't work at all, we checked spark and no spark, in fact no electricity to the coil module, he thinks is the computer or ECM? I went to a salvage and bought the computer of a 2002, we installed and nothing. We don't know how to find out if what we're doing is correct. As for the mechanic he is a friend and does not know english that well, the electronics is his weak department.

Please help me and my brother, he missed 2 days from work and his cash is going, plus employer reputation. I need to know procedures.. and what information requested by you all to troubleshoot the problem.

Thank you, very much in advance.

John

Old 11-15-2007, 11:46 AM
chopper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I need help.. please!!

How did the engine blow?
Could the original engine be repaired?
What about a crate engine?

Just because an engine will fit into a car doesn't mean it will run after you get it in there.
In the olden days you could out just about anything into anything else but those days are over.
In your case a Stratusengine might fit but the operating parameters are different and the sensors will send out info that the Caravan ECM can't interpret.Thiscould cause the engine to run forawhile and when the sensors filled the computer with crazy information,the engine shut down.

You might be ahead to buy a cheap beater until you can get the van fixed.
A new mechanic that IS fluent in english and electronics might be a big help too!

Quick Reply: I need help.. please!!