Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Hoist Problem -- Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:45 AM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Hoist Problem -- Need Advice

I own a 2000 Dodge Caravan and am trying to hoist it up. The car has rust in the HOIST location, so much so that my jack ripped thru the area:

Name:  IMG_3883-1.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  77.1 KB

I luckily had a jackstand slightly over to catch the car + tire below the drum back plate . The jackstand is currently piercing thru the frame and am not so sure it is capable of holding up the car.

Where would you recommend me placing the jackstand to safely prop up the car? I am trying to replace both rear brake drums and shoes but first need to remove both drums for machining. Ideally i like to raise the entire back end at once but if i must raise one side then move over to the other and THEN have both sides raised then so be it.

Where would i jack up the car and where would i slide in the jackstand?[/b] Would marked off locations (A) or (B) suffice?

Name:  IMG_3885-1.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  75.3 KB

Also this is from the backend of the car. I believe (C) is the axle connecting the 2 rear wheels? I was considering jacking up from the center of this long cylindrical pipe.

Name:  IMG_3888.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  112.4 KB

As always I'm GREATLY APPRECIATIVE for any assistance!!

Last edited by quantass; 12-21-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Montreal300
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoist under the shock mount.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:25 AM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to be clear that would be just to the left of (B) directly beneath where the shock absorber meets the axle?

Here is another photo but from the back of the car looking toward the axle and left rear wheel:

Name:  IMG_3887.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  83.7 KB

So jacking up from that spot is completely fine in raising the car and then i can slide my jack stand in the vicinity to keep the car up, perhaps have the jackstand beneath the axle on the right side of the shocks?

Thanks.

Last edited by quantass; 12-22-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Montreal300
Professional

Directly under the shock and no closer to the wheel than that. Cradle the bottom part of the shock in the jack. Alternative is to place the jack under the casting where the axle tube enters it. Never jack up on the tube. In your picture draw a line down from the yellow reflection on the gas tank.
Originally Posted by quantass
Just to be clear that would be just to the left of (B) directly beneath where the shock absorber meets the axle?

Here is another photo but from the back of the car looking toward the axle and left rear wheel:

So jacking up from that spot is completely fine in raising the car and then i can slide my jack stand in the vicinity to keep the car up, perhaps have the jackstand beneath the axle on the right side of the shocks?

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

What you need to do is get a floor jack. I wouldn't use the jack that came with the van. That way you can pick up the van by either the pinch weld, suspension cradle or the rear leaf sping.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Montreal300
Professional

I was thinking the same thing after I posted.

Quick Reply: Hoist Problem -- Need Advice