Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

A/C Compressor replacemnt

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor replacemnt

recently on a trip the A/C compressor died. its for now unplugged and just spinning freely so i can still use the heater/defroster. i have a new compressor sitting in my garage but dont have funds to go get it filled right away. i know keeping the old one on isnt hurting anything but this summer ill need my ac back.

so, my question is, if i put the new comressor in now, without getting it filled... will it hurt it? my buddy said it might not be good for it.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: A/C Compressor replacemnt

if u font want to fill it up right now keep it unpluged and make sure u have the correct amout of oil in there drain the oil in the old one and out back that amount plus 1-2 oz more. IF u got the compressor just go get the 1lb ac cans from the store and charge it up cost ya about 30 bucks

Old 12-26-2007, 06:39 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

yeah, he said there was a lubricant for it. does that come with an a/c refill kit? what type of lubricant is it?

Old 12-26-2007, 09:17 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Most of the auto store stuff includes the lubricant. I replace my condensor last january and had a hard time getting the system to cycle, but manages to get 12oz in, to keep pressure on the seals and lube in the system. When spring came and a couple of warm days, I was able to finish charging the system and it was ice cold til this winter began. Good luck

Old 12-29-2007, 04:30 PM
vlmuke
Professional

it uses nd-8 pag oil you can add it one of two way buy a bottle of it and pour it in the compressor before installing it or buy a can of oil charge and put it in after instalation also if its an 01-03 or 05( I don't remember whichof the latter year it is ), there is a recall on the compressors due to them not putting in enough oil in the compressor during the assembly of the van but it only good if the vehicle has less than 70,000 miles on it if that the case they will replace and recharge it for free even if you rnot the orginal owner of the vehicle

Old 12-30-2007, 12:13 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't know what year your caravan is, but there is a recall on2001 to 2003 for a/c compressor failure. Recall B05-02 .You may want to call your local dealer and find out if there are any outstanding recalls.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:38 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

its a 96 (actually the caravan's twin sister, the Plymouth GrandVoyager) and she has 140k.

but once it gets warm out enough to worry about it ill be coming back to this. thanks for the help

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor replacemnt